Time Machine Migration Problem

drewsof

Registered
This is quite a quandry. My last post, my 2.33 merom mbp got replaced by applecare with a new Penryn 2.4. Before sending it away, I made a complete time machine backup because I have tons of apps and personal settings that took months to get set up. I was first a little concerned about the multi-touch not working correctly as i was running build 9c31 i think, and the new one is different (to support the trackpad), so I dug and dug on forums near and far while waiting for my new baby to arrive (with no success). At first, I attempted a migration from the backup to my new computer, but none of my settings were moved and many of the applications were not accessible or missing. I was then successful in restoring my computer from the time machine back up, but to the old 9c31 with NO multi touch support.
How do I:
Get my files/settings on the newer version OR
install the trackpad firm/software and somehow upgrade.

*Note, I tried using Migration Assistant and was prompted to "rename user account because it is the same name is already in use" Could this be the problem??

Since no one has answered your post, I'll give it a shot. Keep in mind I haven't ever attempted a Time Machine restore (knock on wood).

How about
1.) Restore from your Time Machine backup and then
2.) Apply the combo update from Apple's website:

www.apple.com/support/downloads <-- Get the 10.5.2 combo update and install.

Now, if the newest machines aren't covered by the combo update, this won't work. In that case, I wonder if there's a way to restore your home folder and selected applications (don't overwrite System Preferences) without overwriting system files.

Good Luck! Please Let us know what happens.

Doug

Back