Topic: Firmware won't update to 4.4.8 Dual1.25 MDD

studiogeek

Registered
Hi,
I have a dual 1.25 MDD FW 800 that ran fine for a year than started to kernel panic regularly (simple deadlock detection) (very short backtrace)
Also the fans started to run FULL BLAST at all times. This was strange as I had not modified the system at all. The ram had been in there for over a year. I realized that I may have never updated the firmware so I checked the Apple site. My firmware was (is) 4.6.0f1 so I downloaded 4.8.8. I clicked the installer and it gave me a standard "install" dialogue box. I thought this was strange for a firmware update but I proceeded anyway as it did not say I was up to date, or say "you cannot install this update on this machine. It installed?..... showing me a status bar (as if it were installing software, than optimized, never prompting me to shut down the computer. It even said the software was installed successfully. It than said "your firmware version 4.6.0f1 is up to date with version 4.8.8........... (really?)
I than rebooted and checked the boot rom version..... it was 4.6.0f1 still..
I deleted the receipt and tried the install again.... still no go.
I than started the updater..... manually shut down, than held the power button until I heard the long tone. It still did not work.....
Any ideas?
Thanks to all in advance
SG

OOPS,
The Firmware I downloaded was 4.4.8 not 4.8.8.
Also My model in fact has MDD's but is called the FW800 so this update is not for me.
False alarm
Thanks to all

Back