Transferring info from one computer to another in OSX

jwennet

Registered
Hi, I was waiting to get a G5, and in the meantime, trying to figure out the best way to copy over all of my files and preferences from my old G3 (B&W) to the new G5 without having to reinstall software, reconfigure prefs, etc. Anyone have any ideas that can simplify this process?

Thanks,

J

what i did was to connect my new computer with my old using fire-wire cable and bringing new computers hard drive as a fire wire disc on my old computer (by holding 'T' while restarting). then i copied everything from my home directory from old computer onto my home directory on my new computer. when after restarting i logged into my new computer, it was exactly like my old computer with all my preferences etc preserved.

Hook up your computers via Firewire and boot the old computer into Target Disk Mode by holding T, as iMation :)D) said. Then use CCC to copy all your settings.

Sorry for the delay...away on vacation.

Thanks for the help with this. Just can't wait to get the machine now.

jwennet

Don't copy over any preferences to the G5, it has a newer system on it than what you're using now. If you have programs that you want on the new machine, install from disk. Take the time to do this, and to reconfigure everything. You can save yourself a lot of problems doing it this way.

Thanks Bob,

I can do that with most of my software, although for some reason, anytime I've tried to install Photoshop, fresh from the updater disc (after a reformat), it asked for an old version to trace back to. I've owned PS since version 2.5, but don't have all the discs and not sure how to install everything fresh (hoping I don't run into same prob with Illustrator).

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

J

Doesn't it ask for a serial number of your old version? I'm 99.375% positive PS7 did this when we installed it, and I put in the SN for PS4.

It's really simple to install into Panther, especially if you've ever installed anything before. Simply open the CD icon and double click the installer icon.

Back