Two types of iPod? PC and Mac?

whyre

*nix Geek
An fellow co-worker is looking to sell her iPod, and I'm considering buying it, but said iPod was hooked up to a PC, and I recall that there was a different iPod for Mac and PC because of the HFS and FAT file system support. Curious if I would be able to use this on my Mac by formattting it or if they are just the same now (I believe it's a 3rd Gen).

oh, and my PowerBook is on it's way... :D

A Gen 3 iPod (with dock connector) is for either Mac or PC. The earlier models were only Mac or only peecee.

Okay, I've never touched an iPod, so how would she go about finding if it's a 3rd gen or not? Something listed on it or a model number or something?

See if it uses a standard Firewire jack on top, or a thin 'dock connector' on the bottom. Earlier models used a top FW jack, and were 'either/or'.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60971

sez:

iPod: System Requirements
Learn the system requirements to use iPod.

Important: iPod for Macintosh is designed to work only with Macintosh computers. iPod for Windows is designed to work only with Windows computers.
iPod (with Dock connector) models and the iPod mini can be formatted using the iPod Software Updater to work with either Macintosh or Windows.

Acoording to the post above it should be fine then, although I've got a Mac first gen iPod and I've had it formatted to Fat32 before. In fact I've been meaning to do it again so I can use it with friends windows machines.

Well, it looks like I don't have to worry now. I just found out my wife bought me an iPod :D

However, the information will be useful for any future purchases, thanks guys!

Back