Umax Scanner Mac Death!

Mushu

Registered
Got an old biege G3 266MHz runnin OS 9.2.2 everytime I try to start up with my UMAX 610s Scanner plugged into the scsi port it freezes the machine, if I pull out the scsi OS starts up fine. I've tried different scsi IDs, cables etc, all the obvious stuff, and downloaded the latest driver from UMAX but to no avail. Anyone got any suggestions, I hardly ever use it so can't think what triggered it, maybe updating to 9.2.2? I only want to fix the bloody scanner problem so i can sell it for a couple of quid more!

The 610 is a nice one. Check the Extensions Manager. You want to disable the Umax button enabler.
In the Extensions folder (the active one) all you need is:
adv3902.sim
AdvanSIM
Astra610
Kodak Precision CP1
Kodak Precision ProfileAPI
Scanner
TWAIN Data Sources
TWAIN Source Manager
In the system folder - you need:
@UMAX_VS_Preview
Advance.set
Beginner.set
And in the start up folder you need:
Kodak Precision Start Up

Make sure you have the scanner set to SCSI ID #6. And make sure you have a terminator on the scanner. If you do, it could be that the terminator is not working and will have to be replaced.

I had this happen on a beige g3 with os9 once too.

Don't know if I had the same model scanner, but it was a umax. What it turned out to be was a buggy ethernet extention for a third party ethernet card (FE511 was the name of the extention).

(Built in ethernet was dead, thats why we had the card in there). We hated the ethernet card anyway, so we got another one, and there was no more conflict.

Back