Ummm... i have a small question

Xeiliex

Registered
How good is the ibooks performance?

how such i cofigure to get the best performance, or at least decent?

The iBook isn't really a good computer anymore. Its processor is two generations old, and will soon die. I assume we'll see something new in September, else save up for a 12" PowerBook ;)

Or, to show a completely different opinion... The iBook is a great performer at a small price. Buy the 12" Combo model and max out the RAM. Also get an AirPort card if you can. Great for surfing in cafés that offer WiFi access to the internet.

i agree with fryke. the ibook maxxed with ram is so far my main computer, and i eventually hope to be able to get a G5 under my paws... won't change the 'book to a 12" powerbook as they get too hot and are basically G4 ibooks (for other charachters) ... depends on what you need and how much $$$ you have. if you need mobility and don't have too much of $$$ it's the best choise. max out the ram and it will be cool. oh - and it runs panther too (said fryke after testing it) ;) :)

I have an iMac flat panel running at G4 700 MHz and 512 MB of RAM. I also have an iBook G3 800 MHz RAM maxed out at 640 MB. Not much of a comparison but the iBook feels like a desktop system.

For a better comparison, I have a bunch of split up mpeg files. On my P4 2.6 GHz Dell PC it can merge 10 small mpeg files instantaneously, I do the same on my iBook and it's only a heartbeat behind the P4. Pretty damn nice in my opinion.

I have the PB 12" and though I love it, I really wish I had just gotten the sepc'd out ibook 12". Both are great for what I need them for and the ibook would have been less. Plus the ibook is more crash resident (as in the case) I am scared to death I am going to scratch the Al.

On the other hand, I absolutely LOVE my 12" PB! ;) Sure, the iBook is still in the category "good enough", but if you do have the $$$, the 12" PB gives you that little extra beyond "satisfactory" to "exceeding expectations"! :D

IMNSHO it is much more elegant than the white plastic iBooks ... "Next to the 12" PowerBook the iBook is a FAT OLD LADY." (quote from a notorious iBook loving Mod ... ;) )

However, on a more serious note, there a not many ways to increase the performance of your iBook. Maxing out the RAM at 640 MB is the best you can do... you might want to check out whether faster HD's are available ... but that's it more or less.
If you don't need one immediately, you can always wait a bit to see if something better comes along: I did so. I was doubting whether to pic the cheapest PowerBook (15" Ti) or a fully loaded iBook... then came MWSF with the 12" PowerBook and it was love at first sight! :D Small, light, powerful: the perfect portable!

Originally posted by fryke
Or, to show a completely different opinion... The iBook is a great performer at a small price. Buy the 12" Combo model and max out the RAM. Also get an AirPort card if you can. Great for surfing in cafés that offer WiFi access to the internet.

Yep, unless it's going to be used for pro apps like FCP, Photoshop etc. And the dual displays feature of the PowerBooks sure is a nice thing if it's going to be used as a desktop replacement as well :)

The price isn't really that different. The PowerBook is $300 more than the combo drive iBook, and for that price you get, in addition to a faster processor, more memory, a faster graphics chip, Bluetooth and option for AirPort Extreme. And the PowerBook is both lighter and thinner ;)

thank you for you responses.

maxing out the ram was the first thing on my mind was thinking i wouldn't need to much.

I was looking at the ibook mainly for it durability, but i wasn't sure if it was going to be fast enough for web surfing multitasking 6-10 apps. i hate an extreme latency and this seems like it will the trick in not providing much of it.

as for the OS i am must admit i am an anti MS troll, but right i don't think to highly of certain Llnux variants. so i want to try OS X for more than 15 minutes.

and the thing is snow white man,
that's just wild.

as for keeping up with a p4 i read elsewhere it could keep with a 1.6 gigahertz version. but i take that with a grain of salt because if it is that fast why do i keep hearing how g4 gets manhandled the p4.....yes i now know of the "gobi"....but that is another battle for another thread.

but please do continue...desision is near for what i will buy and i need to know more.

I have the old iBook 500 with 384mb ram. It had only a 66mhz bus. Its still snappy enough to use as an everyday web-surfing-mail-scanning-chat-hopping machine and puts in a decent performance when it comes to office and basic design/web stuff. Don't write off the new iBooks until you've tried one. Sure, it won't compare to a G5, nor will it keep up with the powerbooks on graphics and multimedia processing, but it is still a delightful little machine.
Max out the RAM if you can, and whack in an Airport card, and you've got a computer that will give you years of easy use as your everyday laptop.
If in doubt, try one out. Pop into your nearest Apple store (if you're lucky enough to live within a couple of hours of one) and put it through its paces with the sort of tasks you want to do. Its not too shabby.

Back