unable to download

flammo

Registered
HI there:

I'm on a 12" PowerBook G4, 640MB RAM, running OS 10.4.4. I use safari and sometimes IE. I have about 30GB free on my disk.

My questions: I can't download some apps from the internet. For example skype and googel earth. Both have versions for the Mac, I have the system requirments, but when I click the download button it flashes to a page, then straight back to the download lage with nothing happening. I've tried both safari and IE, same gig, so I'm guessing it's a Tiger problem, as I have had some general problems since upgrading from Panther.

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks for your help,

Mark

flammo said:
HI there:

I'm on a 12" PowerBook G4, 640MB RAM, running OS 10.4.4. I use safari and sometimes IE. I have about 30GB free on my disk.

My questions: I can't download some apps from the internet. For example skype and googel earth. Both have versions for the Mac, I have the system requirments, but when I click the download button it flashes to a page, then straight back to the download lage with nothing happening. I've tried both safari and IE, same gig, so I'm guessing it's a Tiger problem, as I have had some general problems since upgrading from Panther.

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Maybe try using Mozilla Firefox. I have had so many problems with both Safari and IE that I just quit using them all together. Unfortunately I can't get rid of both of them, because unfortunately sometimes Firefox has some wierd quirks on certain pages but Safari and IE load them fine. If that doesnt work, I really doubt its a Tiger problem, maybe a problem with the download link itself. See if the sites don't offer alternative download mirrors, if they do, try a couple of those, if not, try contacting the developer and see if they are having problems with their download links.

It is a nice gesture to include any related web site url(s): 'Skype' (Version Tracker link: 'VT_Skype') and 'GoogleEarth' (Version Tracker link: 'VT_GoogleEarth').

MacOS X 10.4.4's 'Safari' version 2.0.3 and 'Internet Explorer' version 5.2 download 'Skype' and 'Google Earth' just fine.

'Safari' downloads the files as 'Skype_1.4.0.35.dmg' and 'GoogleEarthMac.dmg'.
'Internet Explorer' downloads the files as 'getskype-macosx.dmg' and 'GoogleEarthMac.dmg'.

The original post makes sense, as a post; but, the reasons for the inability to download the listed (and perhaps other) files are not possible - based on the information provided. If you are having 'general' problems, it is possible that any one of them (the problems) may also be responsible for the downloading problems. Although the probability is likely very low.

When a file doesn't download automatically, get to the "Download By Clicking here" point and then Cntrl+Click on the "Download" button to get a drop-down menu and choose "Download Linked File".

Back