Undo file transfer to "Trash"

Jim Beeson

Registered
I was trying to clean up files and moved some items to "Trash" from the "Search For", "All Documents", "By Week" listing, believing this was just a record of visits that when "cleaned" would free up space.
It turns out that these were files and applications that were indeed visited but they were also direct links that should not have been "touched". I tried to pull them out of "Trash" and now they are corrupted and will not open/work.
I lost everything, all my "Pages" documents and many, many applications. I had not dumped "Trash", I had just moved items to it.
I tried to download a trial recovery software and it says, "Do not download software on the drive that contains lost data. This may cause disk overwrite and permanent data loss!"
My lost files were on my hardrive. So, if I can't write to my hardrive, where do I write to?
Can't I just undo the transfer to the "Trash" file?
Do I need a recovery program outside of what is built into the OSX?
Systems I am used to have a "calendar" set up where you just put in an earlier date and your system resets to that date, essentially overriding the problem actions. I can't find that feature in Mac - am I missing it?

Back