Unexpected lines in Photoshop doc's

John Philip

Just Member
This is an old issue.
Have seen the problem as far back as on the 400MHz G4's multiproc. machines.
But it still prevails.
Description: When saving Photoshop documents to a network drive, the saved file randomly gets a one-two-three pixel horizontal line.
There's no error message, so the doc saves normally - but - when one opens the doc again, theline is there - solidly embedded...
Adobe has two solutions mentioned in Adobe support dokument 323489.
One to disable the Async i/o extension the other to copy the file/-s to a local drive.
Of course solution two is not very useful as it is normally Graphic facility houses having the problem - and copying 1-2-3 GB + files back and forth is not really good for productivity.
Solution 1 does not seem to work in this case.
The site having the problem uses Nortel high-end switches and giga-networking - everything has recently been testet and measured through.
Now, would there be any point in setting the network card for half- duplex or is there anybody else out there having any good ideas ??
Kind regards
John Philip

yea i got those a few times in tif files that i saved to my harddrive. Didn't know the line was there until i went to print, and a thin pin line was there. Happenes every blue moon, but it happens.

Originally posted by Urbansory
yea i got those a few times in tif files that i saved to my harddrive. Didn't know the line was there until i went to print, and a thin pin line was there. Happenes every blue moon, but it happens.

Exactly the problem - one finds out when printing - this is in a 'production' environment and naturally they (or their customers) does not like surprises like this one bit.

Problem seems to relate to some sort of discrepancy between the way Photoshop 'acts' on a two-processor machine and the fast network.
First seen on a dual 400MHz and 1000mBit network - and still there.
I suppose one could:
- Disable the two processor ability of photoshop - by disabling the relevant photoshop extensions
- Disable the Async I/O as recommended by A-dope - but it does not seem to do the trick
- Probably lower the speed of the network card..?
All something taking out performance of the system - but on the other hand still better than having 'uncontrolled' files around.

I don't have dual processors. I think it is in saving the file. I just check my files before i print, if it's there, save it out. i also had these appear in my jpegs for the web. maybe a background tasks interupts for a fraction of a second and causes a glitch.

Originally posted by Urbansory
I don't have dual processors. I think it is in saving the file. I just check my files before i print, if it's there, save it out. i also had these appear in my jpegs for the web. maybe a background tasks interupts for a fraction of a second and causes a glitch.

The plot thickens...
I have the following quote fron another bulletin board. These guys had similar problems on 'non-dual-proc' machines:
>>Bad RAM, bad hard drive, bad connections or cabling are where you should
start looking. If you are saving across a network, add that to the mix.<<
I know it is a wide criteria - but maybe you should start checking from one end, if you are really botherede by the problem..?

Still the really nasty thing about this error is that one does not see it till next time one opens the file...

John Philip

wit hasn't happened to me lately and I am interested in that bad cable or drive info. Phtoshop is the only app that actually gave me a warning when i tried to open a file. It said it was corrupted due to a bad cable drive or something like that. i have 3 drives, and no other apps have problems with files. The file opened and there was a line in it. THis was a while ago this year, it was a large file not one of my normal large 100+ mb files.

Back