uninstall classic; howto?

Besides having a strong interest in the historical value of most operating systems (and I own a ton of operating systems), I specialize in servicing Macs... which run Mac OS X. I know of very few people who have as much experience (more than 10 years worth) with all versions of this operating system (NEXTSTEP, OPENSTEP, Rhapsody, Mac OS X). Knowing not only the core OS but also all versions and it's developmental history make me one of the most qualified people to service todays Apple systems.

My Background in Mac OS X is only rivaled by my background in the original Mac OS (going back more than 15 years), and I don't take that for granted. It has helped me stay in a very good position in my profession (as an independent consultant). I know very few of my competitors who have that extensive a background... and I like it that way.

Though I, personally, wouldn't want to use DP4 as a daily OS, I do use Rhapsody (on three systems) daily along side Mac OS X (on two systems). DP4 represents a mid-point in the redesign of Rhapsody into what we know as Mac OS X.

And computer history is very much like most history... those who forget are doomed to repeat it. I'm just keeping my memory fresh for all of us. ;)

Just a feedback for the oroginal thread-starter; I deleted my OS9 System Folder and the Classic .dmg when I was having serious HD space issues. Had no problems at all and didnt need it again, although when I tried to get a Radeon card going in my old beige G3 tower (chipped and hacked to run Jaguar back when that wasnt so easy) I ran into a problem because the ROM upgrade I was trying to perform on the card would only run under OS9. Other than that though (and thats a pretty specific problem only for beige G3s I think) it was fine.

Hi Guys
I have just got my NEEEW iBook G4 1Ghz with 14" screen etc waited five yrs to upgrade from my old original iBookman man what a differnt best !

I to want to get rid of OS 9 so reading from the above is it safe to just trash the OS 9 sytem folder and OS 9 Apps folder repair permission before and after and touch nothing else...??

Cheers and Beers :eek:

Correct. But before you do that, make sure you do not need any app in OS 9. I am assuming you want to do this to your original iBook.

In your new iBook, you can not boot from OS 9. As long as you know you will Never, never, never use classic, go ahead.

Cheryl said:
Correct. But before you do that, make sure you do not need any app in OS 9. I am assuming you want to do this to your original iBook.

In your new iBook, you can not boot from OS 9. As long as you know you will Never, never, never use classic, go ahead.

Many Thanks .....

Back