Uninstalled openSUSE, but still tries to boot it!

kyiosus

Registered
Hello,

I just uninstalled openSUSE and all the partitions having to do with it (I thought), but everytime I boot my computer I have to hold down 'option' to select the Mac HD, otherwise it tries to boot into linux.

I am wondering if LILO is installed on the Mac boot partition, and if so, how can I restore it?

Thank you so much for your help.

(Mac OS X 10.4.8 - iBook G4)

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

Actually, Linux/ppc doesn't use LILO but uses another boot manager called Yaboot. Try resetting the PRAM first by holding down Command-Option-P-R once you hear the Macintosh startup chime. Hold it down for a good three to four chimes and then let go. That should remove Yaboot from the bootup process.

If that does not remove it, then you're going to have to remove the bootstrap partition that was created for Yaboot by the partition manager for your distribution. If you boot up using the Mac OS X installation discs and then select Disk Utility from the menu bar, you can remove the small bootstrap partition where yaboot is residing. BE CAREFUL! Make sure that you're not deleting any other partitions that pertain to the Mac OS X installation. Best thing to do is backup any important files before doing this in case you accidentally remove the wrong partition. Usually, the bootstrap partition is about 5-10 MB in size, just enough to hold the kernel in.

nixgeek, thank you so much for your help! Resetting the PRAM didn't work, but erasing that small partition worked perfectly. Thanks again!

Back