'Upgrade' 10.3.9 using 10.4 INSTALL disk?

Ralb

Registered
Was told I could 'upgrade' my PowerPC PowerMAC G4 from 10.39 using a PowerMAc G4 10.4 INSTALL disk.

Is this possible?, concerns?, drawbacks? Love my MAC (don't know much of the 'inner workings') and would not have to upgrade were it not for my son's new IPOD which requires 10.4?! ughh.
Thanks,
Randy

I have just done this myself a few months ago on my iMac G4. No problems for me. Just check system requirements and make sure you backup before installing. You'll also need to run Software update a few times afterwards. ( install disk was on a DVD format )

I have just done this myself a few months ago on my iMac G4. No problems for me. Just check system requirements and make sure you backup before installing. You'll also need to run Software update a few times afterwards. ( install disk was on a DVD format )
Sounds great, as I have not done this before - any pointers? I have read a few threads re: 'erase and install' vs. 'archive and install'. is 'archive and install' even an option under this scenario?
Thanks again,
Randy

Both are options. Archive and install is a good option if you have the hard drive space. If everything works fine after install, you can trash the old files. Do you have a dvd drive?

If it's the original DVD of another PowerMac, then it might a) not work and is b) illegal. You need a separate Mac OS X 10.4 license for your computer.

I do indeed have the DVD drive and tons of hard disk space - wish me luck.
Thanks,
Randy

I do indeed have the DVD drive and tons of hard disk space - wish me luck.
Thanks,
Randy

you can sync your ipod classic/nano/touch with mac os x panther if you download the application "floola" (http://floola.com/) you might need to connect it first to a mac 10.4 (maybe you can do it at a friend's house?) im not sure but after that (if you do have to do that) then it WILL WORK! Hope this helps

Back