Upgrade older Mac?

mgardener

Registered
Gotta think this subject has been kicked around a lot, but I couldn't find it.

I have a G4, 466MHz, 512MB (v.10.3.9) four year old Mac. It still works fine, but I would like to have a faster CD writer (and probably DVD writer) and I believe the 466 processor doesn't get the most out of the latest operating systems.

I can't afford a G5, so I'm looking at alternatives: Buying a somewhat newer, faster used G4. Buying a Mini Mac. Upgrading my existing Mac (more memory, new DVD drive, new video card and maybe a CPU accelerator.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for a great site.

Mike

I would probably say stick with what you have and upgrade it.

The Mac mini as is would have certain bottlenecks, and you would have to add memory and replace the HD for a faster one which means more money spent.

If you have the cash, get the newer G4, as a faster bus and other enhancements would be a plus.

Or, get a first gen G5...most of those should be relatively affordable now...at lest I would think so...

Take a look HERE for accelerators and drives.

I would also say stay with your current machine and upgrade it if you can't get a G5.

Apple has 1.8GHz G5 iMacs for $999 (17") and $1399 (20") in their clearance area. They also have the DP 1.8 G5 for $1499 there and the single 1.8 for $1299. (((free shipping)))

$300 to $400 (processor upgrade) + $125 (video card) + $ 80 (superdrive) + $100 (RAM) = $605 to $705 (((not including shipping)))

Ebay the current config ($300 roughly) + Money you would spend on upgrading ($605 to $705) + Upgrade cost for Tiger ($130) = $1035 to $1135

I'd grab one of the G5s and drop an extra hundred or so into RAM.

Go to http://www.MacGurus.com

they have a great shop for upgrading. I upgraded my G4/466 to dual 1.4GB chipset - works fine. I also added drives, maxed out RAM @ 1.5GB. It's quite fast, and very trustworthy. It's not a G5, but it's worth milking for a few more years, in my opinion.

Back