Upgrading Power Mac

alfred_bowman

Registered
I am in the process of upgrading an old B&W Power Mac G3 for a graphic
artist friend. While I intend to get a Mac for myself next year, all of my experience is with the PC.

A major task is to update the OS from 9.1 to 9.2.1 and then to 9.2.2. I have downloaded the six files of each update to my PC's hard drive. I intended to burn each set of files to its own CD. However, I noticed that every one of the 12 files is a Stuffit archive.

Accordingly, I downloaded the latest version of Stuffit for Windows and
Stuffit Classic for OS 8.5-9.2, which is itself a Stuffit archive, or so it said,to my PC. Now I'm wondering what to do next. I could expand the OS 9.X
Stuffit archives on my PC, burn them to two CD's and transfer the expanded files to the Mac. Or I could load Stuffit Classic on the Mac somehow, burn the compressed files to two CD's on the PC, transfer them to the Mac and expand them there.

Is there something I'm missing?

Of course, I have never loaded software on a Mac before.

I really could use some advice.

PS: I do not have the installation CD for OS 9.

PPS: Once I have made the updates I plan to swap the original CD-ROM
for a DVD ROM and attempt to install Panther from installation DVD's.

Are you downloading the updates from Apple? I tried downloading an OS 9 update, and it downloaded as a .smi, which OS 9 will mount as a disk image. Updates located here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75288

You should be able to burn the updates to a CD, and run them from the Mac.

There is a wealth of information about that mac here:
http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g3c.shtml
(recommend you read cautions on the bottom of the page)

You should be able to run Panther (or Tiger, for that matter) without a hitch (but it may be slow, especially with less than 1GB RAM)

if youlive in canada give me a shout and i will be glad to help you i will be gone before 5 pm today i have a family function to attend but my home number is 905-230-0804

Back