USB Drive refuses to mount

zootgirl

Registered
I ejected my jump drive yesterday from my work iMac (OSX 10.5.5). Also, I'm not 100% sure it ejected properly, but don't remember being scolded before I put it to sleep. But I have ejected improperly before and have never run into a problem - not good practice I know, but sometimes that beach ball just keeps on spinning.

Brought it home to do some work, plugged it into my MacBook (OSX 10.5.5) and received the following error message:

Disk Insertion
The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer
Initialize - Ignore - Eject

So I ejected. Tried not break into a cold sweat thinking about the 8 gigs of info I had on that that was not backed up anywhere else. I am normally very good about backing up, but... it's a long, boring story and doesn't really matter.

It's a 16gb Kingston DataTraveler120, I've had it about a month and it's worked wonderfully up until last night. So I waited until I got into work this morning hoping it would miraculously work. No such luck.

It's plugged in directly to the MacBook as well as the iMac so it's not hub/powersource issue. Both machines are USB2.0. I've also attempted Disk Utility after booting from the OSX install CD. No dice.

So here's the info I have and what I have done thus far. If there's any other info I can provide let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Disk Utility sees the drive, but will not mount (only eject)
-verify permissions
-repair disk permissions
-verify disk
-repair disk

These options are all greyed out.

System Profiler sees the drive as well (DataTraveler120), however it has only Write/Eject permissions, no read.

I've run TechTools hardware test, drive surface test and it passes both of these.

My question is this, do I have no option but to use Disk Utility to erase the drive using the "Don't Erase Data" option selected (under Security Options) and just hope that TechTools can restore the data once I can mount the drive?

Sigh. Hardware breaks my heart some times.

Back