USB Printer Sharing Problem

Charles218

Registered
Hello - I am new to this forum, having landed here to try to solve an issue with USB printer sharing in classic. Please let me know if there is a more appropriate forum to handle this issue.

I have an Epson printer connected to our iMac via USB. The iMac is running 10.2.7, and printer sharing works fine in Jaguar. I can print from my Powerbook running 10.2.7, and from the G5 running 10.3.7 (Panther), but only from OSX apps. When I am trying to print from any classic app on the two shared computers, I have to restart classic on the iMac every time that I want to print. It then prints fine. If I come back to the same program five minutes later and try to print, it doesn't work. The Epson does not show up in the Chooser and trying to print does not work. I restart Classic on the iMac and the printer shows up instantly and I can print. I don't have any problems printing from Classic from the iMac, the Epson is always there in the chooser and printing proceeds normally. I have tried turning off USB printer sharing in OSX on the iMac, but the problem persists. I would be thankful for any information leading to relief from this problem.

It sounds like the Classic environment is going to sleep, then, when it wakes up, not recognizing your printer. What happens if you set it to never sleep (via the Advanced tab in the Classic system preference pane)?

Also, rebuild the classic desktop from the Advanced tab in System Preferences>Classic on OS X side.

And welcome to our forum. :)

Thanks to Arden and Cheryl for their quick response on this. Arden, your response takes first place, sorry Cheryl. Classic was set to sleep in five minutes and that was the problem. I opened the Chooser, selected my printer in the left side pane, then selected the printer port in the right side pane. I left the chooser open and watched, after exactly five minutes the port disappeared in the right side pane. Set classic to "never" sleep and fifteen minutes later it is still working like a charm. What a great way to start the day.

Thanks!
Charles

Charles218 said:
Thanks to Arden and Cheryl for their quick response on this. Arden, your response takes first place, sorry Cheryl. Classic was set to sleep in five minutes and that was the problem. I opened the Chooser, selected my printer in the left side pane, then selected the printer port in the right side pane. I left the chooser open and watched, after exactly five minutes the port disappeared in the right side pane. Set classic to "never" sleep and fifteen minutes later it is still working like a charm. What a great way to start the day.

The other solution is to simply print to pdfs in classic and then move those over to your iMac to print in OS X. Of course the fix you've got is definitely better…this one is just a work-around. :)

Back