Use MS Office On A Mac? You’re About To Get Screwed

That's another thing, isn't Windogs extensions limited to 3 characters? Or is that changed in VISTA?
As Office 2007 will run on Windows XP, the three-character limit on file extensions does not apply to XP. IIRC, the technical restriction was removed with NT. It is embedded so deeply in the Win/DOS infrastructure, however, it continued as though it were a technical limitation.

Microsoft started telling developers to use 4 instead of 3 letter extensions with Microsoft XP. See ".indd" files (InDesign).

I'm fairly certain Office 2007 is only released for corporate users just as Vista is so what's the big deal? Corporations aren't going to adopt it right away and when it's released to consumers in Jan 2007 we'll have a convertor and hopefully a new version of Office Mac soon after.

True, but it just shows that Windows has had support for 4 letter extensions for some time now. It's not something new.

Actually, I've always known it to be .html and only when MS decided to jump on the WWW bandwagon did we start seeing .htm, probably because of the limitations of DOS in Windows 3.x and Windows 9x. Of course, since DOS has essentially been eliminated from Windows with NT and its successors it's not necessary, but many have still used it for backwards compatibility.....which I find weird because Navigator used to load up pages that ended with .html just fine on older Windows operating systems. Another MS "standard" that they attempted to push, I guess? :rolleyes:

That said I'll be irritated not to be abel to open Word files in TextEdit, its soooo much faster than word and deals with almost all files perfectly.

ora, I couldn't agree with you more on this one! I hate waiting 2-4 minutes for word to load (loading font list, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!) just to read a .doc.

Back