Use the AppleScript menu

Mikuro

Crotchety UI Nitpicker
The Script menu is a standard option in OS X that lets you easily execute AppleScripts from any application. You can set it up so that certain scripts will only appear in the menu when certain applications are loaded. For example, I have it set up so that when I'm using the Finder, the Script menu contains scripts that help me rename files, and when I'm in QuickTime Player, the menu contains scripts that help me manipulate movies.

I find it very convenient. However, it is disabled by default. Here's how to enable it:

• Open your /Applications folder, then the AppleScript folder, and then launch AppleScript Utility.
• Check the box that says "Show Script menu in menu bar". You should see the script menu appear immediately at the top of your screen, probably near the clock.
• Close AppleScript Utility.

And here's how to use it:

Click on the Script icon in your menu bar, and look under the "Open Scripts Folder" sub-menu. You'll see three items:

1. Open <currently active application> Scripts Folder. This is the one you'll use most, probably. Select it, and a folder will open. Drop any scripts (.scpt files, or .app files saved with Script Editor) in there that you want to use ONLY when that application is active.

2. Open User Scripts Folder. This will open a folder where you can put scripts that you want to appear regardless of which application is active.

3. Open Computer Scripts Folder. This is like the User Scripts Folder, but items here will appear for all user accounts, not just yours. This is probably the least useful for most people.

I've attached a picture of what my Script menu looks like when the Finder is active. You'll see a bunch of scripts there than only appear for the Finder, and then one below them that appears all the time.

Attachments

• Picture 2008-09-21 11-17-24.png
    Picture 2008-09-21 11-17-24.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 31
This is a great tip! I discovered a while back that you could enable the AppleScript icon in the menubar (I always suspected that this section of the menubar had a different name), but didn't really dig around so this is news to me.

I notice Mikuro, that where you have an "Open Computer Scripts" I have "Open Library Scripts" ... is this just the same thing? I think you are using Leopard whereas I'm a Tigerer ...

20080927-qnneickd6fm3cycjb66kjgn1jk.png

Yeah, it must be the same thing, and I am on Leopard. When you select it, it should open the /Library/Scripts folder

Back