User won't go away!

HECTORdaBIZATCH

Registered
Hi-- I have a problem. I created a user, and now I want to delete it... but it just won't go away! The first time I did it, it added " Deleted" to the end of the user's home folder, but it doesn't remove the user from the list of users in the Users preference pane, or the login window. Of course, if I try to log in as this user now, I can't do it... so it's all messed up.

How do I get rid of the thing? ...and while I'm at it: how can I create a user with the command line? And how can I get more control over the user, like picking its home folder, etc. ?

And I would also like to create a user that doesn't have a Documents, Movies, Pictures, and Music folder by default... but it seems that if I delete one of these for a user, the system will eventually just create a new one.

...anyway, if anybody has ideas on ANY of these, I'd appreciate your help. Thanks!

you should use the terminal:
type at the prompt:
sudo rm -rf /Users/(username)
the enter your administarto password

if the user won't go away from the shell (and system) you should use NetInfo Manager in the utilities folder ...
open it and you will find a directory named users containing all the users in your host.
For removing the user just remove the username directory in the users directory of netinfo
from there you 'll get control on many other user setting.

Times ago on www.osxfaq.com i've found a little script for adding users with the terminal /telnet /ssh or whatyou want ....
if you cannot find it there ... mail me ... or just post ... i'll attach it !!

Wouldn't sudo rm -rf /Users/ completely remove the users directory and everything in it? I certainly don't want to do that.

I had a problem with removing just ONE user. Anyway, I figured it out.

Somehow I messed up the permissions for my System folder. Basically, any non-admin users couldn't read anything inside of that directory, and I suppose that makes sense why things weren't working. I reset the permissions and everything works fine now.

Zeus, thanks for your reply... I think I will play around with NetInfo manager and check out that web site.

Yeah, I was thinking about this.

It seems that I may have to do it, and if I continue to have problems I will. Thanks for the advice.

Back