Using a Mac with Verizon's NationalAccess internet

Nosh

Registered
I had contacted VerizonWireless about their NationalAccess wireless data plans. In the past, I've preferred Verzion for their fantastic network quality and service area, and their voice plans are very well priced as well. However, their unlimited data plan requires two things: their mobile office kit, and a PC. None of their handsets support bluetooth, yet, though they hinted that they may introduce a bluetooth enabled handset in the future. That would be ideal for me, since I could probably bypass the need for that mobile office kit. Getting to the point: Has anyone successfully connected a Mac portable to Verizon's data network, and achieve the speeds they boast? (40 to 60kbps with burst speeds of 144kbps) I currently use T-Mobile and their unlimited VPN networking plan, but it costs too much for only the speed of about 20kbps in any given service area.

A related question: is there any way to hook this into a home network? We can't get DSL or anything of that sort here, but I know we have Verizon service, cause Dad has one of their phones.

My brother is using Verizon's network right now to get online in Arizona. He also uses it when his cable modem goes down in his apartment. He said it's slow compared to his cable modem (cable modem is like 1.5mbps or something.....fastest the company would offer). That aside while it won't be as fast as a cable modem it's quite a bit faster than a dialup modem. It works pretty good for him - he has his cellphone (LG camera phone I think) connected to his computer using a USB cable and then he just clips it to the edge of the screen on his powerbook. It would probably also work in a home network, provided the computer it were plugged into were set to share its internet connection. I'm not completely sure if he's using their NationalAccess plan or not...he probably is. All I know is that it works pretty good for him and it's quite a bit faster than dialup.

Jeepster, if it's not too much trouble, do you think you could get the details from your brother? Such as which data plan he uses, how his phone is configured, and how his mac is configured? I've been jumping from network to network as data plans get better, but VerizonWireless seems to be the only one that doesn't offer a bluetooth phone. Figures.

Sorry for taking so long to respond - I was on spring break and finally had a chance to check the forums. I asked my brother what data service he used and he said...

"The free one that comes with every account, hehehe.

To get high speed though I have their 1x data thing on there for Get It Now and Camfone and all that jazz, which they put on if your phone has a reason to use high speed, and then use a special login/pw to use that account instead of the normal free one so I can run at 144kbps instead of 14.4kbps
"

I hope that helps some...

Back