Very Strange Display Behavior

robertgarven

Registered
All,

I have never seen this in 15 years of apple ownership. All of a sudden my cursor has a 1" box to one side of it of vertical slashes, I will try to attach pics below.

I tried an install & archive, a clean install and 2 time machine back-ups. I ran drive genius and tech tool pro and ran the repair feature on the apple 10.5 installation disc. For some reason this inexplicably went away and after 2 days of trying to troubleshoot it just as inexplainably came back.

Have any of you ever seen anything like this before? For some reason mail is not affected except for the cursor. However if I scroll down to my dock it is filled with thousands of dashes???

Hard drive, Ram, Pram, Processor????? I was waiting for a matte screen Imac but guess i will have to wait for the 27" quad core?????

Thanks in advance for any help

Robert Garven - Ventura, CA
Apple Imac 20" - 2 Ghz PowerPC G5
1 GB DDR SDRAM - 10.5.6 Leopard

Attachments

• IMG_8190.jpg
    IMG_8190.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8191.jpg
    IMG_8191.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8192.jpg
    IMG_8192.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8197.jpg
    IMG_8197.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8198.jpg
    IMG_8198.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 3
Hey,

I've had this exact same issue on the exact same machine!

Basically, the GPU is falling off of the motherboard, Much like the '3 Red lights' error on the XBox 360.
Our's was covered with apple protection plan, They replaced the board, and upgraded our ram with no charge! Although, I doubt your's is.

Sorry to say, but I think it's time for a new one.

Charlie

Back