Video Card for Powerbook G3

Dusk

Registered
What's the best video card for a Powerbook G3 that I can get for (preferably not more than) $150?

Actually, in the old days, there was a video card I remember that would fit into your PC Card slot and give you extended desktop and such.... too bad they didn't continue developing that... I'd love a PCMCIA graphics card for my PowerBook that has Quartz Extreme capabilites

You can't use the build-in video card in OS X, because it just won't work decently, and you can't update it either?

Apple should be ashamed.

adambyte said:
Actually, in the old days, there was a video card I remember that would fit into your PC Card slot and give you extended desktop and such.... too bad they didn't continue developing that... I'd love a PCMCIA graphics card for my PowerBook that has Quartz Extreme capabilites
Ah yes, the Road Rocket...
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/PB_G3/rocket/
I actually bought that video card off eBay a year ago or so. It's kind of funny to use it, since it sticks out of the PCMCIA slot about 3 inches to accomodate a big ol' heat sink. It's kind of useless under Mac OS X, however, so that may be a consideration for you. You can probably find them for pretty cheap nowadays (I bought mine for around $50). If you want, I'll sell you mine, as I don't use it anymore.

it will happen soon (powerbook G5's?) but anyways Alienware has already done it so apple will probably follow suit

Jet said:
it will happen soon (powerbook G5's?) but anyways Alienware has already done it so apple will probably follow suit
We're talking about upgradeable laptop video cards, right?

Yeah, Alienware uses some sort of module video card unit that can be "upgraded". To what extent is unknown, i'm sure there are only a handful of possible "upgrades" for their laptops.

Oh...and i'm probably sure you have to send it back to them to get this upgrade done ;)

Back