Viewing XP desktop

Madelin

Registered
I can connect with remote desktop to my pc from my iMac, but what i want is to be able to view the desktop (mayebe even control it) while i am logged on to that account on the actualy PC aswell.

Thus so i can have someone on the pc and have me on the iMac both viewing the same XP desktop.

Is this possible?

I guess using the Remote Desktop Client this is not possible on a normal Windows XP Home or Pro version, because of licensing restrictions. (It is possible on Windows 2K3 Server.) But you can do it using a VNC server on the WinXP box and a VNC client on the Mac.

Btw.: I've deleted your other thread about the same issue. Please don't double post subjects in separate fora. If you're unsure where to post a thread, simply post in one of those it seems to fit and add the question to your post. A moderator will then move it if necessary.

Whats VNC?

I can control the XP desktop. But logging on to the XP pc from my iMac logs of user on the XP pc off. I want to be able to stay logged in on the pc while viewing the desktop of the xp pc on my iMac.

You're using "Remote Desktop" software from Microsoft. Windows XP is restricted here, will only let one user be active that way.

VNC is a protocol used by various software applications. You'll find free versions of both the server application (for your Windows XP box) and the client application (for your Mac).

Go to www.versiontracker.com and search their Mac software database for "VNC client". There's some freeware available. Then search their Windows software database for "VNC server", and you should find freeware as well for that. It'll let you do what you're trying to achieve.

Back