Virex 7.5 available on .mac

chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
For the ones who are afraid of viruses on their Mac, McAfee updated Virex and it's free for .mac users.

The new feature: on-the-flight detection of virus attacks.

But will it operate better than the previous version ? Nobody knows... as there are no viruses to fight :D

Hey ive noticed that it also is only available to mac users. Now i Understand that, but isnt .mac also for windows users now? or at least homepage etc is.

From a sales point of view that wouldnt make me switch. That's just the thing, people are too smart these days especially when they see a sales trap. Why buy it when they dont get there antivirus software? i dont like those Psycho sales tactics its really downgrading. Id rather spend the money on a real sales person. also why does apple seem to be the only IT Company you really notice doing it? i personally believe this does more harm than good but if pulled off can really work like the iPod success.

I have virex on my mac but i always stop it before it scans. :eek:
Does this version scan in the background instead of having to do a full scan? I'll give it a try later! :D

You can set virex to manually search. I use it maybe every other month. No real need (as of now) to use it regularly. And I made sure to delete it from my startup items as well.

Here's the deal with Virex, you are really using it to protect your PC-using comrades from viruses. It detects Windows viruses on your machine so you don't go and email them off to your grandma using Windows 98 without a clue. It's for the better good of the internet as a whole, not necessarily to save your ass personally from getting a Mac virus.

As far as what Quicksilver said about only Mac virus software being available for .Mac subscribers ... I don't understand what your point is. You think Apple should provide Windows anti-virus software for free as well? What would be the point?

So what you're saying is that ALL antivirus software for the mac is just there to stop us from spreading Windows viruses?

I'm glad i switched! :cool:

I'm sure there are a few viruses that work on Macs, but what I stated above is what has been told to me by a few people who know more about computers/Macs than I.

Have you seen the .Mac page. It says "Protect your mac from 85000 viruses or something. Makes it seem like there are 85000 viruses that affect osx.

Pengu said:
Have you seen the .Mac page. It says "Protect your mac from 85000 viruses or something. Makes it seem like there are 85000 viruses that affect osx.

Maybe they'd get more switchers if they make that "Windows viruses". :D Though, I'm sure there a quite a few old Mac viruses and a ton of macro viruses in there, too.

I never liked Virex though, it always seemed so low-quality. At least Norton Antivirus would scan in the background. Even if the new one works better, I've always had something against McAfee products. :) And is it just me, or is this only available with .Mac? I don't see it on their website.

It's just too bad Symantec can't figure out how to make a real live update program for OS X... you'd think it'd be as easy as making a background process that checks for updates just like on Windows. I shouldn't have to schedule a certain time to run it. And the interface needs to be redone... it seems to take up the whole screen.

Sophos seemed really good from my experiences with it, but they don't sell single-user licenses. That Virus Barrier (I think it's called) software wouldn't let me connect to my network while it was on.

Back