Virtual PC 6

ddma

The Most Stupid Member
vpc6m_desktop_illus.gif

http://www.connectix.com/products/vpc6m.html

*Note that the test was tested on 10.2.3!

"*Note that the test was tested on 10.2.3!"

or it was a typo.

I just bought VPC 5! There goes more money out the door!

I hope Windows will run alot faster in this version.. hopefully fast enough to get higher than 4 fps on Tribes (on a 700mhz g3 imac)

I just downloaded the upgrade and after installation, VPC still shows as V5.02 and I cannot use some of the new features because my "add-ons are outdated".
It does, however, start and close much quicker. I have not run any programs on it as yet so cannot offer any comments at this time.

Vyper: Don't hope too much. VPC is highly optimised for G4 processors with AltiVec support and even on the newest hardware isn't much for games. the casual office app might be okay, or webtesting in IE, but for games: buy a cheapo PC rather than VPC.

Virtual PC is decidedly optimized for the G4. I used a program called MixMeister on my 533MHz G4, but cannot use it at all on my iBook. I love my iBook, but this was very upsetting for me. Oh well, I guess I'll have to live with the situation as I don't think anybody is going to pony up the money to ship my G4 and monitor to Japan.

Sam

Yeah, the Wal_mart $200 special. Woohoooo! Anyway, yeah, VPC on a TiBook 667 runs XP at what seems to be 1/3 the speed of a PII 300. While that's pretty slow if you're gonna try any gaming, the fact that I can run the XP install from a CD at all makes me ecstatic. VPC rocks for trying out virii, and randomly installing apps that you don't trust, and using applications that are mutually exclusive because they depend on different versions of the same libraries. Speed? Speed's still pretty weak. That's what happens with hardware in software.

I'll keep on using VPC 5 though. The improvements from 5 to 6 don't seem to be enough of an advantage for my workflow to justify paying money for them. I'm glad to see they're not letting the product got crusty though.

I just upgraded VPC5 to VPC6. After I add the additions. I feel little faster performance than VPC5. I hope 10.2.3 will increase the speed.

QuickSilver 733Mhz
384MB memory

Its nice to see how windows can sleep with OSX :)
Please,can someone put a fosfor bomb under Bill Gates pillow? :)

Im just kidding! ;)

So,how fast does XP run on a PowerMac?

I wonder if this will ever be reversed?

Cuzzo

Supposedly VPC6 runs x% faster - but running it on a G4 w Altivec yields little more than misery. I have it on my machine (and have had it since v3.0) for a few tasks I must run in Windows (like compiling Director projects for Windows). It is and probably always will be doggedly slow. You click for an action (like launch and app), and usually you get NO visual feedback that anything is happening and maybe 1-2 mins later you MIGHT see the splash screen of the app you are trying to open. 3-5 mins later you might be able to attampt something in the app you launched. Moving Windows is excruciating. IN general I consider it a "click and wait" experience.

FWIW - I have 1.2G of RAM and have tried allocating as much as 512mb of RAM to VPC in attempts to speed it up a bit. Nope.....

Also - the VPC docs clearly indicate that VPC is NOT FOR RUNNING PC GAMES!

Originally posted by bluehz
You click for an action (like launch and app), and usually you get NO visual feedback that anything is happening and maybe 1-2 mins later you MIGHT see the splash screen of the app you are trying to open. 3-5 mins later you might be able to attampt something in the app you launched. Moving Windows is excruciating. IN general I consider it a "click and wait" experience.

Hmmmm, I run Virtual PC 3.0 on an iMac DV 400MHz (and now an iBook 800MHz, but I haven't really tested it on this yet), and nothing was ever that slow! Maybe something is configured wrong?
But you do have to boot into Classic to run it, and version 3 only allows you to have 128 MB of RAM...

Just updated to VPC 6.0 after downloading 10.2.3. Speed increase is significant using Windows XP. Now I feel it's actually usable on my TiBook 667 DVI.

G

Just installed Windows XP... still think that Windows 2000 is the best OS for VPC.

Back