Vision Pro

chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
I don't know if this device is for me. But I am very impressed by the work behind it. For the hardware as for the software. It looks like they thought about everything the others voluntarily or not forgot. Price is crazy, but that a version 1.

At $3499, I don't think they'll sell very many! That's ultra pro territory pricing for a household product. Just won't fly!

It just might fly to those who are in the futuristic mode. And realistically, for those who want to watch a movie all by their lonesome.

But it is pretty cool. I bet a lot of people will wait for the price to go down by a lot. (like me)

I feel that Vision Pro is to smart vision systems what the Lisa was to computers in 1983. A fantastic initial product that announces the future but is too expensive and still have plenty of defaults to be discovered by the first (rich) initial users.

I think that the Vision Pro is a game changer in so many ways. I have never purchased a VR headset and only used one for about 3 minutes inside MicroCenter once probably 5 years ago. The concept is cool, but the Meta verse and the VR games is really just not who I am. What Apple has done here is beyond exceptional. I will buy one when it launches because I'm not getting any younger and gotta enjoy the tech while I'm still around, to see what the next generation of peeps are going to get to experience.

If you can legit have (2-3) 4k monitors on your head and use a real keyboard (and maybe mouse) with your mac, then it pays for itself on that factor alone.

It's the small things that many think are stupid, like being able to see the persons eyes, or know if the person with the headset on can see you or not, is what sets this apart from anything else. Meta just announced their new AVR type headset for $500 and it may allow you to see the room around you, but it doesn't show that to anyone else around you, and it doesn't run what I love, the Mac, iOS, and everything that Apple does.

I will buy one and if I have to sell some older Mac equipment I have on had to get it, I will. :)

Also not exactly something I would rush out to have - but it is ground-breaking. It is your computer writ large. I could see myself enjoying looking at the grand canyon superimposed on my wall. Or typing up a report, cocooned away from distractions (except those in the glasses themselves). Spatial computing - hmm. Finally, Cmd Z with my hand in space might actually undo something. ;^)

I spent 5 minutes in an a game based headset quite a while ago and did not like it at all, the loosing of all sense of the real world made me nauseous. Looking at others flailing around with the googles on is always a laugh. Part of the problem there was that I had to move and interact or the monsters would get me. That experience makes me wary of the whole Oculus/Goggle/Headset idea. The intriguing thing on the Vision Pro is that participation seems less stressful. There may be useful things to do in there.

One of the questions I have is what happens to the "screen" when you bend down to get popcorn or look to the left to see who just came in the door. The video (not really a demo - I think it is all cgi) shows everything staying put. That is some impressive tech!

Apple Silicon has really opened the door.

Back