VPC 5 and modem...

you dont have to dial out using VPC, you can dial out with your mac, and then use shared networking :)

If for example you wanted to use a terminal application like HyperTerm to connect to a remote system you can't connect using shared networking.

Just go into your PC Drive setup, and change COM2 to 'modem' or whatever the name of your internal modem is. It should work the same way as if you had installed it in a PC on COM2. Just configure your terminal application to recognize (COM2 is the standard port for internal modems).

VPC5 doesn't automatically recognize that I've already connected to the internet via the Mac.

How is this supposed to work? I first connect to my ISP via my G4's internal modem (running OS 10.1.2). Next I go to VPC (Windows 2000) and click on Internet Explorer. Then I get an error message saying I couldn't connect to the internet because the modem is already in use.

I do have Network Sharing turned on. Is there something on my Mac (like File Sharing perhaps?) that I also have to turn on to get this to work?

This is really frustrating. I'm reading messages where everyone seems to think this should just work flawlessly. I've tried everything I could think of and it still doesn't work.

TIA for your help!

Back