vpc7 and vista

thatcomputerguy

Registered
has anyone been able to successfully get the internet working on their mac with VPC7 running Vista? i've got vista installed on my ibook g4 and the network adapter seems to be working, but i am unable to connect to the internet. there has to be something i'm missing, but i've played and tweaked all the settings that i can think of and no luck, but with the emulation running so slow, i'm beginning to wonder if it isn't just timing out when trying to connect.

without being able to connect to the internet to validate vista it'll choke on me in 14 days and stop working.

Hmm. I haven't installed Vista in a VPC7 environment yet. What's your networking setting (shared, virtual switch)? If you're on one, you should try the other.

billbaloney said:
Hmm. I haven't installed Vista in a VPC7 environment yet. What's your networking setting (shared, virtual switch)? If you're on one, you should try the other.

thanks - that's a thought. i have been using "shared" simply because it works fine with the other emulated OSes, but maybe virtual switch is better for Vista. i'll try it tomorrow and let everyone know if that made a difference. (i haven't figured out how to get the wireless working in VPC Vista yet, so i have to wait until i'm connected to my wired network at the office)

I am thinking that the Virtual Machine Additions does not support Vista. If this is the case, then many features that just work with Windows 2000 and Windows XP SP2 won't work with Vista. You will probably need a router the easily access the Internet. Have you tried to setup your Internet access using DHCP from within the Windows environment?

However you do it, you will likely need a separate IP-address for Windows. You may also trying sharing your Mac's access and allow your virtual Vista machine to access the Internet through shared access like a hardware computer.

billbaloney said:
You're the guinea pig! Let us know how it goes. Was the installation process fairly straightforward?

after i finally caught the "pc" in time when it was restarting to get into the bios, it all went smoothly enough. a little light reading on the web and a bit of playing and i got the network card working. it is dead dog slow to the point of being annoying. little things like emptying the trash can take a couple of minutes for a 20k file!

once i get the internet up and running so i can do the updates i'll let you know if the speed improves.

MisterMe said:
I am thinking that the Virtual Machine Additions does not support Vista. If this is the case, then many features that just work with Windows 2000 and Windows XP SP2 won't work with Vista. You will probably need a router the easily access the Internet. Have you tried to setup your Internet access using DHCP from within the Windows environment?

However you do it, you will likely need a separate IP-address for Windows. You may also trying sharing your Mac's access and allow your virtual Vista machine to access the Internet through shared access like a hardware computer.

after a few attempts i did get the VMA installed, but whether they are working properly is something i'm not sure of. the setup at work is through a router, and i have DHCP turned on in Vista, but i'm thinking the virtual switch may be the ticket. i'll check it out in the morning.

How did you get it installed at all. If I try on my G5 running VPC7.02 it fails with an ACPI error ? Any help appreciated and then I'll check the networking. From running it on a PC it can be a bit flaky anyway.

Tommo said:
How did you get it installed at all. If I try on my G5 running VPC7.02 it fails with an ACPI error ? Any help appreciated and then I'll check the networking. From running it on a PC it can be a bit flaky anyway.

When the virtual machine is just starting up, hit the Delete key. I had to keep trying it before i got the right moment. tap it several times just to make sure
If you hit it at the right time, though, you'll get into the BIOS setup screen. It's a pretty simple version of BIOS, without many options or variables, but one of the things you can do is set 'ACPI Aware OS' to 'Yes.' that's it. Exit and save changes. Vista will now boot and install. it took about 2hours on my ibook g4, so with a g5 i would think it should be about 1/2 that.

good luck.

the virtual switch vs shared network seems to have done the trick. i eventually managed to connect to the internet and just finished activating VISTA. very slow, you'll need a lot of patience for this one.

i'm installing the updates now, and will keep everyone informed as to how it works. the next challenge for me will be trying to get my wireless working in VPC VISTA...

Back