Watching tv over wireless lan

Zammy-Sam

Desertchild
I was asking myself if it would be possible to have a tv-card plugged to computer (no matter if apple or peecee) and than broad-cast the video and audio to the lan and also wireless lan (to my powerbook). Sounds very simple, huh? Did anyone ever try? I would like to know for sure, before I buy myself a tv-card for the peecee. And is there any free software for broadcasting video and audio? I know I can use the tv-card as a regular av-device, such as a webcam or camcorder. Should be really fun to watch tv in my bed instead of my living room! ;) And the bandwidth should be enough over 802.11b wireless lan, right?

You might want to look into VideoLan. It has clients for pretty much most OSs and also a server/deamon for Linux that supports streaming all kinds of media across LAN including TV-tuner output. It saids you can stream DVD if you have atleast 6Mbs so a wireless lan should be enough for TV. If you have a fasts enough internet connection, streaming across the internet should also be possible :D

if you get this going tell please post back here!!! This is an awesome idea. Pure class

Noone ever thought of this? I am surprised. I really think it should be possible, but I don't want to pay money for software. Hope VideoLan will do like magi.sys said.
Anyway, still someone there who tried it yet? Still don't feel couraged enough to buy that tv-card.
Another problem I thought of was, how to change channels. For that rdc should work fine. I just controle the peecee remotely and change the channels by this. So, actually it should be easy work. But still...

Cant quicktime 6 stream av or a special version of it? It's also available for pc, so... Shouldn't this work?

Back