Web Publishing: HTML for 'Switchers'

I don't see what the problem is... maybe a screenshot that wasn't enlarged?

Choose a font size in the Languages/Fonts panel that is 4 points bigger than what is already there. Also, be sure you're using the latest version of Explorer, or switch to Safari...

The screen shot WAS enlarged- I simply reduced it to actual size when I converted it from *.pdf format to *.jpg format.

Here is a side-by-side-comparison- Do you not see a difference?

I've got the fonts set at 16 pixels now, what is that
in terms of point sizes? Four points larger would be
how many pixels?

As I recall, the fonts only became illegible on the G3 when I downloaded and installed Netscape and/or Mozilla.

Safari is, was and ever shall be, quite legible, which was my initial question.

Why and how did a Mozilla Install screw up the fonts used withing Explorer for Mac? And how do I fix it?

Striderji

Attachments

• g4 font sample 1.jpg
    g4 font sample 1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 6
Here is a side-by-side comparison using the same frame, on from my G4
and on from my G3:

How do I fix this??

Stridi

Attachments

• side side 0003c.jpg
    side side 0003c.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 5
Aha. It's simply a matter of anti-aliasing. Check your System Preferences for the smallest size of anti-aliasing your system uses (I think it's in SP, but I can't remember; it also might be in View Options. Let me boot into OS X on my iMac, and I'll get back to you). You can use a tool like Tinkertool to make the minimum anti-aliasing font size smaller, as well.

Okay, I booted into OS X and found the option you want. It's in the General pane, in the Personal category (the first one). At the bottom, you'll see a section about font smoothing. Ignore the type dropdown menu, and from the second menu select the maximum font size that you don't want anti-aliased. I'd say choose 8 or 9, and see if it works (this is on the G3, BTW).

Above—I meant maybe if you posted a screenshot that had not been enlarged, I'd have an easier time helping you out. But with your side-by-side, I figured it out. Hope this helps.

I adjusted that as outlined. Thanks. Maybe it's the monitor, too.
I changed the resolution to 1280 X 1024 just to make it easier for the moment, I can always change it on a case by case basis .....

Actually- And I can't figure this out- Its better at either 1280 X 1024
or 800 X 600 ??? All three of my monitors are set to the same resolution and all three show the same picture a little differently.

The Apple Studio Display is best, the Neovo S-17 second-best, and the Gateway Active Matrix TFT third. [ No, I haven't tried a regular CRT, an Optiquest Q71 for example.]

Thanks Again- I'll just have to adjust <Grin>

Stridi

Flat screen monitors always look best at their native resolutions, which is almost always the highest resolutions they support. The reason is that they have a specific size that pixels can be, and at lower resolutions the monitor interpolates the larger pixels from the smaller ones, and lines come out blurry. On a CRT, you have RGB tubes like a TV, and these support differently sized pixels much better than an LCD screen.

If you have a hard time reading the screen at the native resolution, set it lower unless you need precise pixel output (like for graphics). 800 x 600 on a 17" monitor, for example, is still easier to read than 1280 x 1024, even though it's blurrier.

Back