Weird beep click noise in new DP G4

karavite

Registered
Every couple of hours my new G4 DP 1GHz will make this beep then a click sound. Some times when I am using it, other times when it is just sitting there. Everything is fine, but this is weird. Any ideas?

Sounds like something is trying to work. What OS? Check your control panels. Do you have a backup app running? Are you connected to a Network, DSL or Cable? Check the AntiVirus or firewall settings.
When it happens, does the computer stall?

is the beep and click comming through the speakers or the computer itself? I've had a few Western Digital HD's that have made a few strange beeping noises before.

It is coming from the computer itself, but of course it has not done it in a few days. I have a lot of stuff in here (music gear, scanner, camera, camcorder... and 5 surge protectors wtih all 6 plugs filled) so I am not even 100% sure it is the computer (mayb 98%), but it is the only thing new here and it sure sounded like it was coming from the tower. A hard drive spinning up seems to be the best bet - maybe a fan? It is weird and I'm sorry I have not much to offer here.

That would be my best guess. It doesn't do it all the time but I'll hear it occasionaly. To tell you the truth I haven't heard it in a long time. It did do it right when I put the drives in... Maybe it's just with New WD drives?

Mine makes a wierd sound when the cache is emptying from the browser. Could this be it? Photoshop has a cache, maybe it is trashing all the old files?

Check out Universal Access in System Preferences.

I had a strange one that if you click the option button repeatedly, a strange sound would occur. I found out that it was a shortcut to enable/disable Mouse Keys.

If you have use keyboard shortcuts checked within Universal Access, the sound might be related to one of it's features.

My mac makes wierd noises also. It also talks to me. It told me his name was Fred. It asked me for something to drink. He said he is sick and tired of cocoa and java doesn't do anything for him. I offered him some soda but he said the carbon just slows him down. Eventually I just unplugged my speakers. I think I should get off the "happy stuff" if you know what I mean. ;)

New DP machine? First bet, Logicboard is a lemon. They are having a small scale factory recall. You might want to read up on the Answer Base and go through the symptoms and diagnostics.

Originally posted by plastic
New DP machine? First bet, Logicboard is a lemon. They are having a small scale factory recall. You might want to read up on the Answer Base and go through the symptoms and diagnostics.

No kidding? As I said the noise hasn't happened in a few weeks now and I'm not certain it was even the machine and everything else is fine, but I'll check it out. Nothing would be more fun than getting a whole new machine. Do you have any specific urls about this?

P.S. The sound did not come through the speakers.

The beeping sound, according to the mail I got from an Apple Centre, should be coming from internally. ie From inside the casing. Something to do with the Logicboard.

That is why we had a recall here in Asia. I am not sure about your area. Check with the Apple Store/Centre.

I thought it was just the HD spinning up - not the logic board or anything, because even though the sound does come from the inside, if you listen carefully you can hear the HD read/write heads or whatever they are unparking/moving (unless it was a coincidence when I listened).
Funny thing is though, we have a lab full of dual 1GHz models with 2 120 GB HDs, and for some reason the second (non-system) HDs sometimes all spin up at the same time, so the room is a cacophony of "BEEP-click-click-click!!" and since the clocks are slightly off in each tower it's delayed for each one. (that was a really run-on sentence :))

I'm on the phone with Apple Care and he is saying there is not an issue with the IBM drives sold in these machines. My system profiler says my 80 GB is a model: IBM-IC35L080AVVA07-0. However, he did suggest there was something going on with Maxtor drives.

He did say a beep is something of a generic message in Apple hardware that something is wrong with the logic board. Loose RAM or who knows what. I did run the Apple Hardware Test disk and everything checked out fine. My machine has not made this beep sound in weeks (ever since I posted this thread!), but if it comes back I have a case # with Apple.

Worst case scenario - if there is something wrong with my machine and I need it replaced or repaired, do you think they will give me any grief for swapping out the ATI 9000 for my ATI 8500? I put the 9000 in my old G4 450 when I sold it. They may not even notice....

sounds like your R2 unit needs repair...

If it starts projecting a hologram of a princess in distress, then that will make sense. I always did have issues with my father...

Back