Weird iChat away message problem...

mightyjlr

Registered
I have a strange problem with away messages with iChat. A long time ago, I made an away message, that I used a few times. No problem... everything was normal with that. I did that on my Powerbook G4, which I don't use much anymore, and which I deleted that away message from a long, long time ago.

Now I have a Powermac G5, and I set my away message, and everything is fine... except on my dad's G5 which will start out OK, displaying the correct away message, but then after a few hours will display the away message from (honestly) a year ago. It doesn't make any sense. Mind you, we both bought our G5s within the past month, long after that away message was deleted from my Powerbook, plus the Powerbook G4 is turned off, and I never made the same away message on my Powermac G5...

What's the deal with this? How is this away message still floating around... it's very strange...

And you're sure you didn't in any way backup that PowerBook and apply the backup to one of the new machines?

From memory, the Away messages for AIM are stored on the AOL servers, so since your ACCOUNT is the same, it's remembering your old Away messages. In which case, the error could be iChat or the AIM servers.

I just did a quick check and the away messages that I have for iChat do not show up in AIM.

fryke said:
And you're sure you didn't in any way backup that PowerBook and apply the backup to one of the new machines?
Nothing other than .Mac Sync. The thing is, I don't think AIM or the AOL servers store away messages anywhere... that's why it is so weird, I don't understand where it is coming from...

But you do .Mac sync and wonder why settings are preserved? *cough* And did you try to _delete_ that 'away' message with managing the list of away-messages?

fryke said:
But you do .Mac sync and wonder why settings are preserved? *cough* And did you try to _delete_ that 'away' message with managing the list of away-messages?
as far as I know .Mac sync doesn't sync old iChat away messages, especially ones that have been deleted months ago...

Back