Weird performance on Dual USB iBook

kommakazi

Hack the Planet!@#
I have a dual-USB iBook (500mhz) with the DVD drive, 384megs RAM, running OS X.1.2.
X works great and all until I attach my external USB APS Tech burner to burn CD's or just read a CD. When the CD burner isn't on or attached, IE takes 3 seconds to launch, Terminal takes 4, System Prefs 2. With the CD burner attached or turned on, IE takes 12 seconds, Terminal takes 2 minutes +, System Prefs about 10 seconds. Anyone have any idea why it would do this? The device in the burner is a Mitsumi 4x4x24 speed drive.

Interesting, I've got a dual USB iBook (500), same specs, same system, etc. No major changes, no external devices, yet my startup times all seem a bit slower then your "slow" times. I can't figure it out, it takes about 20 minutes to boot up. I've searched through the logs, nothing of note (some DNS timeouts, which I fixed using the FAQ-HOWTO section on DNS things). The only thing that looks out of place is in the dmesg:

dallasDriver == NULL!
kExternalSpeakersActive != deviceID!
AppleAudioVideoJackState 0
IOAudioStream[0x1945900]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (2b4,3c44)->(19a2,bf6).
IOAudioStream[0x1945900]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (19a1,3c44)
IOAudioStream[0x1945900]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (19a5,3f6)->(19f5,219).
IOAudioStream[0x1945900]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (19f4,3f6)
IOHDIXController::createDrive: warning entry missing removable property - defaulting to TRUE.
IOHDIXController::createDrive: warning entry missing autodiskmount property - defaulting to TRUE.
IOHDIXController::createDrive: warning entry missing ejectable property - defaulting TRUE
IOHDIXController::createDrive: warning entry missing lockable property - defaulting TRUE
IOAudioStream[0x1945900]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (19f7,3a19)->(27f4,382c).
IOAudioStream[0x1945900]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (27f3,3a19)
IOAudioStream[0x1945900]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (27f7,302c)->(2cb1,530).
IOAudioStream[0x1945900]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (2cb0,302c)

But, the system is sooooo boggy for the first 20-30 minutes of use. I don't understand what's happening, and it's quite frustrating!

Uncle Chachi:
Something is very wrong with you're book. I would definately suggest either getting Disk Warrior or something similar to clean up your system. Your best bet, however, would probably be to just backup your important files and reinstall the OS.

kommakasi:
As for your performace decreasing when having the drive connected ... that's weird. I'm assuming this only happens with the USB CDR drive and not when you have, say, a USB mouse, printer, etc. hooked up? I'm really not sure what this could be caused by but I'll look around. Hopefully someone else here has had a similar problem and can help you.

Back