Weird problems

Veljo

Mac Enthusiast
My PC and my iMac are networked. I am running Jaguar. When I choose Connect to Server from the Go menu in the Finder sometimes it lists my PC and sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't and I type in an address at the bottom and click Connect either it will hang on a dialog saying that it is connecting or the screen goes dark and a box comes up saying that I have to restart my computer. What's this?

Veljo, this is the famous kernal panic. From what I understand it's hardware related. Run your Apple hardware trouble shooting CD. I had a bad memory module after I removed it everything passed; so far no more kernal panics. Warning, if you do not correct the problem you might screw up your drive. Mac's do not like to be hard started tends to screw up boot files and such.
Good luck

Under rare conditions you can get a kernel panic from a software crash, but this is truly rare. If the usual troubleshooting (Disk Utility fix permissions, repair disk, trashing preferences, reinstalling the system, etc.) doesn't fix things then have a look at your RAM.

Back