Weird temporary files called ._filename.extension

Mr. Tech

Registered
My Mac seems to create a tonne of files in this format:

._filename.extension

e.g: ._style.css

It is a pain in the behind because when I upload a website in an FTP program, it picks up these temporary files and uploads them too.

Is there anyway I can stop these from being created?

Thanks

Ben

From my limited knowledge and from what i have experienced with my thumbdrive and my windows machine at work, these come from putting files from a mac with metadata onto a drive with a non-hfs format such as a fat32 format.

hmmm yes that sounds about right. Is there anything I can do to remove them or am I going to have to keep putting up with it?

Hey Jeff, not sure if I understand what you mean... Im able to view the files fine on a windows machine. Its just these temporary files show up aswell. It's not stopping me from doing anything, it's more annoying than anything

Is there a setting in mac I can turn off to remove them?

I do not believe that there is a way to turn them off.

What the other jeff was saying is that if you format your thumbdrive (or whatever drive you are seeing them on) in the HFS+ format you would no longer see them, however the side effect of that is that you would no longer be able to use that (thumb)drive on a windows machine after the format to HFS+.

I am not very good with applescripts, but you might be able to make an apple script that you could drop a folder onto and have it recursively scan the folder and delete any of the ._filename.ext files in that folder. Not really a great solution, but would be easier than manually deleting them all.

Back