WEP, WAP and IP configuration???

imacnet

Registered
Hello everyone and thanks, i have a wireless router (D-Link DSL-G604T) and i'd like to put a WAP or WEP key to let getting in smply the computers that i want but i don't know how to set this key up in a mac, i do in a pc but not in a mac or what other way do you recommend me to secure my wireless network, i have a ps2 wired connected and i don't want that if i put this key in a wrong way my ps2 connection will be lost, sorry but i'm not really good with networking problems thanks a lot.

Oky doky
I'll try and explain as best as I can for you....
- WEP is for when you are using wireless so if your PS2 is wired into your router there shouldn't be a problem.
- If you wanna setup WEP on your router you will more than likely have to log onto it via your Web browser you probably did this when you first set it up. Then there will be an option in there to enable WEP it may ask for a Passphrase so that it can make the key up, then just copy the key into a text file to keep for later (just incase). All in all you'll have to consult your manual on that one to enable WEP or ask somebody who has a similar model.
And lastly to WEP on your Mac you need to go to the system preferences Panel ---> Network ---> Where it says show click on Airport ---> Then where it says 'By Default, Join:' change to 'Preferred Networks' ----> Now press the little plus sign under the white box ----> This should drop down a window just put the SSID (or the name of your wireless network) into the 'Network Name' box and change the 'Wireless Security' to WEP 40/128bit Hex ---> Now just copy the WEP from your text file into the new password field ---> Click 'OK' and your done!
Hope this Helps :)

Back