What is the name of LDAP Server in OSX 10.4 server

trnet

Registered
Hi
I am setting up a OSX server(10.4.1) for the first time using Open Directory. I want to use the LDAP server feature in my Address Book on a client(10.4.1) to connect to my OSX server. Address Book asks for the LDAP server name. Where do I find it?
A hint says my
name:My LDAP Server / server: ldap.mycompany.com / search base: ou=people, o=company
It's the server part
server:ldap.mycompany.com
that I need help with. Can i use just the server's IP address? eg
ldap.211.28.xxx.xxx
or do I need to use the domain name eg
ldap.mycompany.com
because I am not sure I used a domain name when i set it up?(I don't run a web server). Is it called
ldap.?????
by default?

Also help with
search base: ou=people, o=company
would be handy too.

Thanks in advance. I know I sound a little thick! :eek:

Ok, first, you have a domain. If your running an OD Master server, you need to have DNS running somewhere and you have a domain, even if it is just an OD Domain. :)

Name is whatever you want to call the server connection. If your server was called TigerServer, you might put it there.

Server is either the IP or name of your OD server. This could be 192.168.1.1 form or something like a FQDN, like TigerServer.domainName.com/org/edu, etc.

Search base is useful if you have a very large organization and you wish to set a starting point for all LDAP lookups to start at. This is comprised of organizational units, etc.

You won't want to used the address of ldap.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (naming + IP), you'll want to use one or the other. :)

Back