What kind of app WUOULD YOU WANT someone to be working on?

I'd like to see a 2D/3D virtual avatar chat environment. There are tons of them for Windows, but none for Macs. I think with OS X's support for OpenGL and QuickTime it would rock.

How can I compile C from terminal?

I've registered and downloaded the latest Developer Tools (on my poor 56k modem) and it's just what I was looking for! But I could still use some more 'knowledge'. :)

dprint "I need some application idea's, my imagination is just dead!"; 27+3

[EDIT: Hehe, typed too many '0's in the text size, I didn't want it to be 100!]

Some kind of a Finder hack to replicate the OS 9 "labels" functionality would be great. I've never used OS 9 but I can see how I WOULD use labels if they existed.

I can't believe Apple pulled this functionality. I'm sure many OS 9 people miss them.

T h e r e m u s t b e a w a y!

Kent!

Someone wrote a hack that was supposed to let you share USB printers using unix lpr server. Unfortunately, that relies on being able to print from the command line (using the Print command) which doesn't work for me.

Originally posted by dricci
I'd like to see a 2D/3D virtual avatar chat environment. There are tons of them for Windows, but none for Macs. I think with OS X's support for OpenGL and QuickTime it would rock.

I absolutely agree with dricci. "virtual3dchat.press3.com" would be a good name... :D

How about this, sound good at all?

An application that can orginize and personalize ANY data formats on your computer? You can orginize and edit ANY file, movie, text, contact, calendar, addresses, mp3s, and website links within this program. it allows a user to view/edit/open his (or her) favorite files quickly and easily! With a new Aqua interface, and features which include: printing, exporting to many file types (iPod contacts, mp3s, rtf, mpeg, jpeg, gif, address book, PDA files, etc...). Both OSX and OS9 support...sound good?

lol, we're a little tart in the morning arn't we?

No, the application allows users to edit/view/orginize ALL files on the computer within one easy interface, instead of thousands of windows to work in users can just use one now.

Yea, i guess you could say it's like iTunes/iPhoto. Only with support for movies, web addresses, contact information (address book), and some more stuff. All under one roof.

i dunno, I guess your right...who needs that.

There are some people who are working on alternative file browsing/organization schemes... Mainly, it's WinExplorer replacements right now, but it shows you're definitely not the only one who isn't satisfied with what's available.

Hehe, I could use some too. I was thinking of a multi-clipboard program...there's a few already, but who cares? :)

What do you guys think?

I also have a perform-actions-on-wake program built, is that useful at all you think? :p

well, i got an idea... nothing "useful" but something fun. i've had this idea for quite a while now but haven't had the time to do it: a "war games" screen saver; you all know the final scene in the movie with the world map and the simulated war strategies, right? i think that scene is just fabulous and have always wanted such a screen saver. (if you want it to be realistic, add a checkbox to the preferences "play tic-tac-toe first" :) )

i recently had a first look at opengl, doesn't seem very hard (this is what i've come up with -- nothing final yet. my first attempt to do anything with opengl, so bear with me)
so if anybody's interested to co-write this... always interested to learn and work with others.

Originally posted by Trip
lol, we're a little tart in the morning arn't we?

No, the application allows users to edit/view/orginize ALL files on the computer within one easy interface, instead of thousands of windows to work in users can just use one now.
That's what was cool about the BE OS. The filesystem was a database that could contain files and metadata about the files. You could query it a bunch of different ways to get what you wanted.

So yes a new more modern Finder combined with a filesystem + metadata would be awesome! I have no doubt that Apple could add this on top of the current finder and HFS+...

Originally posted by ksuther
Hehe, I could use some too. I was thinking of a multi-clipboard program...there's a few already, but who cares? :)

What do you guys think?

I also have a perform-actions-on-wake program built, is that useful at all you think? :p
Multi-clip clipboard are for Windows weenies who don't know anything about drag & drop and multiple undo's.

On the other hand if anyone could make mult-clip clipboards simply to use, it would be Apple. I really hate the stupid way MS does this in Office. It has a little floating clipboard window that a) is always in the way, and b) has icons that do nothing to help you understand which item is which. (The icons should be live images, a'la putting a quicktime movie in the OS X Dock.)

*sigh*

New application idea's are so hard to come by these days. I remember the good old days when all there was to behold would be HyperCard, AppleWorks, Photoshop, and that stick figure game where you had to run around and try to get into the transporter before the enemy did.

*sigh*

Back