What program fo you use for the net??

Do you mean browsers? There's a load of threads on this .. most people use either mozilla, IE, or omniweb.

iCab is fast, BUT not fastest. It can not match the speed of Mozilla or Opera and it sure as hell desen't look as cute as OmniWeb.
Also, i have had stability-issues with it.
There's a review of iCab at www.macosx.org

Alexandert - icab is pretty fast. i have consistently gotten times close to those that mozilla users get with better macs on my 400mhz imac whenever we have done time trials. Opera is slow comparitively. not near as slow as omniweb, but much slower than icab.

as for that review, i wonder how old it is. i also got the distinct impression that the person was having bigger system problems that he blames on icab because it is very stable for me. Neyo's site will crash it and every other osx browser but ie. there are occasional sites that take it down. if you understand how icab works, then you realize that it is the site's fault for following m$ standards instead of wc3 standards.

It also took me a week of playing around with icab to find its full potential, something i don't think the reviewer did. i have shared some of the tweaks and pref settings that help optimize it in several threads already. It isn't as pretty as omniweb, but it works better. It even works with my bank.:) and it is made in your part of the world alexandert. i am pretty sure it actually has a manual in german.

Yeah...what browsers would you recommend? I heard that Internet Explorer isn't that great, that it isn't reliable or anything. Any recommendations?

I've always used OmniWeb, because it's the most aqua-ish browser, despite the speed problems.

OmniWeb, in the latest sneaky peek builds, actually is pretty danged fast. And since it's the only one that allows such great ad and pop-up blocking stuff (not to mention javascript blocking and applet blocking and built-in spell check), I use it as my main browser, with Internet Explorer coming in at a close second. Plus, it's the prettiest browser out there, hands down.

I love omniweb, i really do. It's fast (enough), and it's by far the prettiest. The reason I don't EVER use it, is because it refuses to remember my window position. I'm running at 1280 x 1024, I have my Adium buddylist towards the right,and i like my browser window to take up the rest of the screen. The thing i can't stand is that everytime i use omniweb it makes the new window VERY small in the top right corner... is it just me?

OmniWeb only remembers the window position if you choose the menu item "Remember Window Position." I'm not sure which menu it's in (I'm in OS 9 right now).

Originally posted by prime
OmniWeb only remembers the window position if you choose the menu item "Remember Window Position." I'm not sure which menu it's in (I'm in OS 9 right now).

wow... amazing! thank you SO much, you just cured my microsoft problem!

What do you guys mean by saying " It is the fastest?" Loading time? Time taken between clicking on icon to program loading first page? Explain... thanks

Back