What's up with this?!

Captain Code

Staff member
Mod
I'm seeing weird errors at the top of all the pages.

Maybe others are getting this too?

Here they are:

Warning: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Temporary failure in name resolution in /var/www/macosx.com/www/forums/global.php(282) : eval()'d code on line 20

Warning: file("http://www.press3.com/banner.php") - Bad file descriptor in /var/www/macosx.com/www/forums/global.php(282) : eval()'d code on line 20

Warning: Bad arguments to implode() in /var/www/macosx.com/www/forums/global.php(282) : eval()'d code on line 20

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/macosx.com/www/forums/global.php(282) : eval()'d code:20) in /var/www/macosx.com/www/forums/admin/functions.php on line 1530

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/macosx.com/www/forums/global.php(282) : eval()'d code:20) in /var/www/macosx.com/www/forums/admin/functions.php on line 1530

Well, it seems that the problem is fixed now. It's worth mentioning that when these errors were showing up, the server was very slow, and now that they are gone it's back up to speed.

i've been getting them everynight at some point. sometimes at several different times. they started on fri. after admin was supposedly doing something to make the site faster. I haven't seen that, but i have seen these errors and the slowness. in fact some threads become impossible to access.

I have just been leaving the site when this happens and then coming back in 15 -30 mins. 95% of the time it has been fixed by then.

I hope this is just part of the transition and not a new regular feature.:confused:

I'll give it a shot:

Code:
[b]Warning[/b]:  php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Temporary failure in name resolution
in [b]/var/www/macosx.com/www/forums/global.php(282) : eval()'d code[/b] on line [b]20[/b]
Some piece of code fails, leading to a variable that has no (or the wrong) value. This value is required for the working of banner.php.

Code:
[b]Warning[/b]:  file("http://www.press3.com/banner.php") - Bad file descriptor in
[b]/var/www/macosx.com/www/forums/global.php(282) : eval()'d code[/b] on line [b]20[/b]
banner.php - the code that generates the banner ad is not responding because it doesn't have the information it needs

Code:
[b]Warning[/b]:  Bad arguments to implode() in [b]/var/www/macosx.com/www/forums/global.php(282) :
eval()'d code[/b] on line [b]20[/b]
and therefore an instruction that operates on the result of banner.php fails, because it can't handle a null result.

Code:
[b]Warning[/b]: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at
[b]/var/www/macosx.com/www/forums/global.php(282) : eval()'d code:20)[/b] on line [b]1530 [/b]
This occurs because of the unexpected error messages preventing the proper transmission of information between she server and you.

Why only at night? I'm guessing there's some logic error in code that scripts rotating banners, and therefore changes parameters based on the time.

To Admin: If you're reading this, you can email me the code and I'll try and fix it (it would be the least I can do in return for this site) : global.php and banner.php.

Bernie :eek:)

Oh well, guess I was off about that night only thing. I'm sure if Admin was making manual changes to the site and causing these, then he would have posted to let us know why, so I still reckon it's some time dependend thing in the banner script...

Ahhh.. wild speculation - you have to love it.

Bernie :eek:)

Back