Where should the System Folder be?

henrik@vh.nu

Registered
I have just installed MacOSX 10.1 on my computer and when I try to start Classic [9.1] I get this message:

"There are no localized Classic-specific resources to update the system folder on "[disc name]". Please select another start-up disc."

Since I had my System Folder on the desktop earlier I thought that could be the problem. But if it is; where should the System Folder be?:confused:

Nope. You can still use OS 9.1 with OS X 10.1, but 9.2 is recommended.

Try moving your System Folder off the desktop and see if Classic launches. If not, your OS 9 System Folder might be unblessed. Move the files "Finder" and the suitcase "System" out of the folder, log out and log in, put them back into your OS 9 System Folder, log out and log in, and then go to your Classic preference pane of System Preferences, and select your Classic system folder again. Then try starting up Classic.

just drag the system folder to your hd icon. that's where it should be - on the root level of the hd.

Actually, Ed, OS 9's System Folder doesn't NEED to be anywhere. You could nest it anywhere on your hard drive, inside 1000000 folders if you really wanted to.

The only reason I suggested to drag it off of the desktop is because that might be the one place that it could cause problems. I was thinking there might be some permissions problems with putting it on your OS X desktop, or some problems with accessing a system folder inside an invisible folder (your OS 9 desktop is actually an invisible folder called "Desktop Folder" on the root level of your hard drive).

Other than that, though, putting your OS 9 system folder anywhere doesn't cause any problems. That's also why I suggested the reblessing of the OS 9 system folder.

you're right SimX. i forgot about that. I forgot that i do have an old copy of 9.1.x tucked away in a folder of stuff that shows up in my startup disk. but i agree, on the desktop seems like a risky place for it. especially since i just had a problem with every file on my desktop disappearing. Diskwarrior found them again, but it was scary for a bit.

of course to me, it just makes sense to have your 2 system folders next to each other. probably just an old comfy feeling about it.:D

Back