white screen freeze

cthompso

Registered
I'm running version 10.2.4 on an 800 megahertz iMac with 256K. Twice today it has crashed (I hate to use the word) while I wasn't watching. When I came back, instead of a screensaver, there was a whitish screen with a few faint bars, and moving the mouse and pressing buttons made no difference. I turned the machine off, and it started again. But it happened again the next time.

Actually, I have one other problem from today; maybe it's related. I downloaded an update to World Book (World Book 6.0.3). The file was corrupted and won't open. I've since downloaded one that's not corrupt and have installed it successfully. But when I try to delete the corrupt file, it says it's in use by another process.

Any ideas?

Did it look like this?

I used to get screens looking like that when I had a faulty logic card. It started freezing sometimes, ended happening more and more often - up to 20-50 times a day. But that was on an ibook.

You have had that screen only twice = it started today??

It happened again overnight; it only seems to happen when I've been away from the keyboard for awhile. It might be related to the screensaver.

It doesn't look quite like th picture you posted. It's basically just a white screen with very subtle lines.

Thanks.

Back