White Screen on Startup...

luvmymac

Registered
OK, so I did something truly stupid. I managed to splash water on my macbook. I hit a small cup of water (about 2 oz) with the end of the computer with the CD drive. It immediately shut off. The next day, I set it outside to dry in the sun and by midday, all was well. It functioned just as it always had. This continued through last night. This morning, when powering on, all I got was a white screen (no tone). After doing powering up while holding command-alt-r-t (a sequence I found on a help board), it will now make the tone, but maintains the white screen. I am slowly accepting that I am an idiot and the computer is probably a loss. Multiple internet searches have suggested it is either the logic board or the hard drive (at the very least). Any ideas?
My dad is a computer programmer, but does not use macs. He looked at it and just shook his head. I am very non-computer savvy (I know how to turn it on). He did say if it is the logic board I should be able to retrieve all of my (non backed up) files on the hard drive. He said he really doesn't think that it is the hard drive.

I also am learning that it will probably be cheaper to replace than to repair. However, I am willing to try anything which might help. Anyone have any magical suggestions. Many thanks... although I love my mac, I wasn't wanting to upgrade just yet!

1. Do not panic.
2. Tell people WHAT type of Mac it is--model, processor, RAM, et cetera.
3. It is easier to service a Mac than you think--I even successfully replaced a logic board.
4. Replacement parts may be found for a lot less on line.
5. Ifixit has many useful guides.

--J.D.

Back