Whole computer crashes when emptying trash!

bdeivert

Registered
Hi

Since I originally posted this as a reply to another thread and got no response, I will try as its own thread.

My computer crashes when emptying the trash. I actually reinstalled the system when I had this problem a few months ago, because it wouldn't let up. 10 hrs work! Well it has come back now.... I assumed that it was a problem with ownership, so I went through all the files to be trashed and checked them and changed any that didn't have the correct owner. The computer still crashes, with a message saying that the computer must be restarted and the number of the network card at the bottom. VERY strange. Nothing wrong with the hardware either, which I thought, at first. Then one time, the computer, while restarting from the crash, restarted again by itself, and the trash wwas empty. However, the next time i tried to empty it, crash again. I have run COCKTAIL, and force emptied using this, and then a crash, repaired disk permissions, run disk utility. Everything... I don't know what to do when I can't empty the trash! None of the items to be tossed are system files of any sort, they are files i don't need anymore, like text, sit files, downloads that I didn't need, etc.
System 10.2.5, 867 G4 single processor, and 1 GB RAM. 400 GB hard drives in total. any help appeciated... i am at my wit's end.

cheers
Bert

Woah!

Amazing.

Why are you sure there's nothing wrong with your hardware (for example, your RAM chips)?

Doug

Well, I assume there is nothing wrong with the hardware, because

1- after reinstalling the system the problem which had been plaguing me for a week went away for months. it just started again.

2- I can empty SOME files, but I never know which one! I can empty some and then wham it crashes.

3- AND... one strange thing, when I try to set the owner prefs for SOME files, I can do the owner part but NOT the group, no matter what I do, the group goes back to unknown... Other files completely okay, and it always asks for the admin name, normal and I fill it in...

what to do?

thanks
Bert in the sticks in Sweden

I had this problem as well just booted to single user mode (hold down CMD+S when booting) and deleted the file from there worked a treat.

tobes

bdeivert,

Those strange, unpredictable symptoms sound suspiciously like a hardware problem or corrupted data.

Beyond that, I guess I'm not much help.

Doug

Back