Why Arn't People Using JPEG 2000?

JetwingX

iWork for Apple <3
it is supposed to be far more superior with better compression and all but.... why aren't we using it ??

why do most people use the old JPEG standard???

where are the .JP2 's???

People aren't going to put things out there that they want people to see if there is the possibility that they can't see it.

Superior or not, it takes a while for these things to filter through the system. I'm only now posting PDFs using version 1.3 (Acrobat 4) rather than 1.2 (Acrobat 3) format because enough people have moved to systems that would have some form of Reader that can deal with 1.3's format (even with Reader being a free download, many people never install anything more than what came with their system when they bought it).

I think JPEG 2000 is a great format, but I won't use it to convey any images on the internet unless I know for sure that the people on the other end wouldn't have to jump through hoops to read it.

It isn't like there is any hurry, and most people these days have some form of broadband which means more and more web designers have stopped optimizing their sites anyways(sadly). Few people are as interested in size as they used to be (and still should be).

I think we'll probably see widespread adoption of PNG before JPEG2000, on the WWW at least.

Probably the biggest reason is the lack of an option to use it in major programs right now. What programs currently have the ability to export JPG2000 files natively right now? Which can view it properly?

well i know on the mac side, preview can easily view and export JPEG2000 as well as photoshop

i hope that PNGs are used more.... on IE for windows the transparent PNGs show up as horrible images with grey backgrounds.... its annoying cuz people say ewwww what a horrible page so i have to change it :(

There is an activeX Css "extension" to make WinIE show PNGs with alpha transparency. it's a whole lot of buggering about, and you'll need a seperate style-sheet for WinIE.

Transparent PNGs on PC can be done with a simple javascript, found on my site. ;) As far as Jpeg2000 goes, what supports it? How do i create one in photoshop?

Pengu said:
There is an activeX Css "extension" to make WinIE show PNGs with alpha transparency. it's a whole lot of buggering about, and you'll need a seperate style-sheet for WinIE.

aka. "A nasty hack".

You cannot create JP2 in Photoshop. Only in Preview. The reason it hasn't caught on is because Windows Internet Explorer does not display it. Simple as that. When you own the browser that 80%+ people use, you own the Internet.

Attached is an archived screenshot in .jp2 format to show that you, in fact, can put these out in Preview.

Attachments

• screenie.jp2.zip
    93.2 KB · Views: 3
wow i could have sworn that photoshop supported 2000

and what's a pixar file?
does it have to do with 3D animation in Pixar Studios?

Back