Why the scoll wheel resistance?

habilis

Ministry of Re-Education
It's just the oddest thing, and maybe someone out there with insider knowledge can help crack this conspiracy wide open.

Why, with all the cool new improvements and changes Apple has made to its flagship OS to attract windows people, is there no scroll wheel for vastly improving the internet experience?

It's beyond all of my logic to understand this apparent resistance to technology. It's bears striking resemblance to the Amish movement here in America, where they up and decided they wouldn't move out of the year 1890 or whatever that year was.

Sure, of course I can go buy a mouse with a scroll wheel but I just bought a $2,000.00 mac, can't they throw it in?

Shed some light....

I agree. The scroll wheel overall works so well by default in OS X. Also the context menus, why not a right mouse button. They say simplicity, but what's more simple, right-clicking or remembering key combos for clicks.

...will sooner or later change the default one button mouse to something unique or at least they are going to improve the wheel+2 mouse button input method! :D

However, I think that one mouse button is better when people start to use computers at younger ages or people that are somewhat old...

I know for a fact (well a fact gained from my computing experiences) that MANY people confuse at younger ages the right and left click (and other people in general regardless their age) and also people in general get confused for the many methods/ways that this kind of mice have depending on the OS functions or applications. Also, people who learn to use this kind of multi-button+wheel mice mostly have difficulties to adapt to a superior way of using a computer:
-Keyboard Shortcuts AND mouse at any given time

Don't get me wrong, I would like Apple to have a multi-button+wheel mouse but not like the ones that I can get from M$ or Logitech... I want something superior in every way possible :D

And if you still don't get it, $10-$15 isn't THAT much for a scroll wheel+2 button mouse :D ;) :rolleyes:

Apple is due to put out a bluetooth mouse in and around a few weeks... I hope they don't just put out a run of the mill mac mouse, but a really inovative, useful, good looking one. Isn't that what apple is for? I don't think it will just be a wireless pro mouse either. I can't wait until I can get a wireless mouse/keyboard combo.. that would OWN.

A BlueTooth mouse... and where do they put the battery ? Or is there a place to reload it ? Even the lowest power BlueTooth solution from XEMICS is using batteries much faster than lower frequency radios.

Logitec has a BlueTooth pointer, but that's for presentations, and it includes a laser.

How about Apple ditch the mouse completely?
For innovation how about a pen tablet? I haven't tried inkwell yet but wouldn't it make sense to provide the appropriate hardware to make use of the software (1/2 joking - I don't expect Apple to give me a digital camera just because they gave me the iMovie CD).
Back on Earth, the Wacom graphire tablet comes with a pen AND a wheel scroll mouse and they work great on OSX
The Pen is mightier than the Mouse!

I do agree that it is nice to have some sort of control over page scrolling via the mouse like the scrollbar, but I'm not a real fan of the scroll wheel. Whenever I use it for an extended period of time it hurts my wrist because of all of the repetetive motions.

I'd much rather have a scroll device like I saw on another mouse in CompUSA where the scroller is a bar that you slide up and down. Just slide down and hold, and the window scrolls down. This is more comfortable IMO when you are using the mouse for longer periods of time.

I don't know if a scrolling mouse will ever be in Apple's future. It seems to be one area where they will not budge in terms of style and design.

Back