Why WMA?

Stridder44

Universal Traveler
People are complaining about iTunes 4 for Windows not being able to play WMA format. To my memory, WMA is much worse than MP3. Its not only lower quality, its much larger than MP3 files. So why WMA? Someone elighten me..

if they knew about anything other than what they are hand fed by redmond, they would have adopted quicktime a long time ago. the majority of pc users don't know anything more about how to use their computer than to follow the prompts. or so my day to day contacts with many of them has led me to believe. of course, by the time they've figured out how to connect to the internet for the first time, they don't ever want to spend any more time learning how to do something. :rolleyes:

i'll be surprised if there is any enlightenment to be found on this subject.

My girlfriend is a good example here. She constsntly brags about her mp3s which she made herself from CDs.
She made these with Windows Media Player.
Problem is, her entire "mp3" collection is, in fact, WMA. Switching her to iTunes would make a collection of music worthless...so there's my grape with it...

AFAIK one reason may well be that WMA can have DRM, while mp3 can't ... AAC is an open standard though, so nothing prevents other companies than Apple to use it and adopt it for their players and programs. As always Apple is in the front line of innovation, others will follow suit in time IMHO.

voice: You can convert WMA to MP3.

Back