Whydvd?

morning

supernew
sorry i cut this off of my other post because it is such a seperate topic from my thread title. I would like to get a confirmed answer so I know whether to return my mac and exchange it for a pc.(I have till the end of the month)

oh and one other unrelated question please, is it possible to save any project i make in idvd that is readable on a pc? i would love to share a project i have made with a friend or send it to my pc to burn it to disk however it uses that rediculous file extention.
Does mac try to be incompatible just for the sake of sticking it to the man?

knight885
I can't answer your mouse question, but I can tell you that the answer to your final question is no. I would not expect any PC DVD application to open an iDVD project, any more than I'd expect Windows DVD applications to open each others' projects. There isn't a standard for that kind of file.

? so can you suggest a program?
hmm, ok i guess that makes sense. I am certainly not very technically savvy. I jsut want to be able to edit together some of my home videos and then actually be able to watch them. If I were using a pc, I am sure that whatever program i used the project would use a file extension that could be recognized by WMP or Quicktime. what is the point of not being able to show your work. and truly why on earth would an ibook come with idvd when there is no possibility to burn onto dvd? I am beginning to think i have been sorely ripped off.
So let me get this straight, I cannot, in any way, get my project out of my laptop and into some other viewable arena?

Burning an iDVD movie image on a pc, is it possible?

You will have to convert the disk image file created by iDVD to the .iso image format (making it compatible with almost any PC disk burning application, such as Nero or Roxio). To do this, follow these steps:
1. Open Disk Utility (located in Applications>Utilities folder).
2. Drag your disk image into the left-hand pane (where all your drives are listed) of Disk Utility.
3. Click on the file you just dragged into Disk Utility (should appear in the left-hand column).
4. Click on the 'Images' menu, then choose 'Convert...'
5. When the 'Convert Image' dialog pops up, select 'DVD/CD Master' from the 'Image Format' pop-up menu.
6. Name your file, with '.cdr' at the end of the filename, then click 'Save.'
7. Disk Utility will convert the file to an ISO image. After this finishes, replace the 'cdr' at the end of the filename (in the Finder) to 'iso'.
8. Now, the disk should be burnable on a Windows PC (simply copy the file to your PC by either copying it across a network or using some other means of transferring the data).

bobw said:
Burning an iDVD movie image on a pc, is it possible?

You will have to convert the disk image file created by iDVD to the .iso image format (making it compatible with almost any PC disk burning application, such as Nero or Roxio). To do this, follow these steps:
1. Open Disk Utility (located in Applications>Utilities folder).
2. Drag your disk image into the left-hand pane (where all your drives are listed) of Disk Utility.
3. Click on the file you just dragged into Disk Utility (should appear in the left-hand column).
4. Click on the 'Images' menu, then choose 'Convert...'
5. When the 'Convert Image' dialog pops up, select 'DVD/CD Master' from the 'Image Format' pop-up menu.
6. Name your file, with '.cdr' at the end of the filename, then click 'Save.'
7. Disk Utility will convert the file to an ISO image. After this finishes, replace the 'cdr' at the end of the filename (in the Finder) to 'iso'.
8. Now, the disk should be burnable on a Windows PC (simply copy the file to your PC by either copying it across a network or using some other means of transferring the data).
This is the answer to a question that I had about the same topic, but never bothered to ask because I thought I'd need to just get an external DVD burner. Excellent! Thanks! You just saved me a couple hundred dollars.

Back