wifi not working anymore

waltzingmatilda

Registered
hi, I searched the forum and have found no answer to what is happening to my PB..I hope this thread is not a repetition of something you have seen and explained over and over..

here is what's happening: I have had for over a year now a wifi connection through airport. this morning I was using it as usual. I went out and the PB went into sleep mode. all as usual. then I got back, hit a key and the disk restarted. at that point, usually, all those applications requiring the net (mail, safari, proteus, newsfire..) that I had left open should have connected again. but nothing happened. I looked at the airport: green light. I checked the airport status at the top of my screen: full signal. but nothing worked. so I open network diagnostics and next to wifi there is a green button thinghy..whatever that is called, sorry. so anyhow, it says: airport in function you are connected to the internet. but I am not. I then open internet connect. it says that airport is working but I see no signal level for the actual internet connection.
I call fastweb (italian provider) and from over there the man on the phone is able to tell me that I have wifi connected and even which film I have on my digital tv..so ok, the provider is working fine. according to them they can see til my airport. my PB tells me it can see the airport just as well.. but somehow the internet connection is still not working.
I then open network preferences: location home. all right. airport connection. right. it tells me the airport ID. it says "join by default", "using DHCP"..but there is no IP automatically detected. I switch off and on the PB, I switch off and back on the airport. then opening network preferences the IP numbers are there, but still no connection. in a state of frustration I try detaching the ethernet cable from the airport and plug it straight into the PB..and it works. so the problem should be the connection between the airport and my laptop..but it sems to be working fine (I am using it to to listen to my music through remote speakers and is even connected to my printer)
thus, what is not working seems to be solely the internet connection between the airport and the PB..
what to do?

I do apologise if I went into so much detail, but I was trying to be as precise as possible!

thanks

Sometimes, using road runner. I have to get the cable modem and airport to sync, if a power failure or similar problem occurs. Basically, I turn off the modem and airport base station. Let sit for a few minutes. Simultaneously I plug the modem and airport base station in.
Not sure if this is a solution to your problem. It may be worth a try.

this morning it all seemed fine even though very slowed down..
yesterday though it all went crazy and the PB would not even boot. something's going on..

Back