Window Resizing & More

pigdog

Registered
Hi All

After purchasing an 600 iBook this year(running OSX), I haven't looked back. It's become my top choice of OS.

Though I do have one gripe and three questions.

* The gripe *

I've read the posts I could find about the the sluggishness of finder/application window resizing. It seems as though it's simply a part of the OS (for now ?).

My question is, why does the window have to be constantly redrawn as the window is resized? Why not just specify the size of the window and have it redraw when the mouse button is released (like OS9 and earlier)? Other OSX apps like FileMaker Pro 5.5 do it, wouldn't it be nice to have option to turn window-redraw-while-resizing off? I think this would ease the pain of many a user.

Or have I missed a post describing a method/hack of turning it off?

1) I currently have an 8mb video card in the iBook, is it upgradable? Or integrated into the motherboard?

2) I also have the standard 256mb RAM. Does that RAM need to be removed to add in another chip.

3) Would the addition of 256mb of RAM (=512 total) make a significant increase in performance to OSX?

Thanks for listening. :)

answer to number 3 - yes. when i went from 192 to 512, it changed everything in my opinion. not only was it faster, it was more stable and smoother.

there are a number of threads on the site where others report similar results.:)

1) I currently have an 8mb video card in the iBook, is it upgradable? Or integrated into the motherboard?

No - the 8MB video card is not upgradeable - Videocards are not upgradeable in Apple Notebooks and also not in the iMacs/eMacs...

2) I also have the standard 256mb RAM. Does that RAM need to be removed to add in another chip.

You have to slots in your iBook - one with 128 MB soldered to the Mainboard and one really swapable - currently with 128 MB in your configuration - you have to remove the other RAM to expand to something higher (which is what i would sugguest to you) - my local mac store even would take back the RAM if you would buy new RAM there (but that would not help you because i live in austria :D)

3) Would the addition of 256mb of RAM (=512 total) make a significant increase in performance to OSX?

YES!!

Back